Installing a new Moen Posi-Temp shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's time to replace an old shower faucet and go with a new pressure balanced faucet.
Moen makes the Posi-Temp, which holds the temperature within 3 degrees. Pretty nice if you have someone in the home opening faucetsa and using plumbing fixtures. It's also a good idea to keep current so that you will be able to get repair parts in the futures.

moen_flemming1.jpg

Your old valve may look like this. This was a bit odd. It came with a galvanized riser for the shower head.

moen_posi_install1.jpg

I like to solder outside, making sure I get heat all around the brass fitting. I also pull the cartridge while I'm at it, and reinstall afterwards.

moen_flemming2.jpg

I sprayed the walls down a bit. That will dry later.

moen_flemming3.jpg

The cartridge goes back in, hot on the left, and the valve gets spun so that the notch in down.

moen-notch-down.jpg

moen_flemming4.jpg

And then the trim plate is reinstalled, to make sure that the tile is cut around this.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I haven't installed any Posi-temp valves yet, but it appears they are 180 degree symetrical like Delta and many other brands. If so, the the body can be inverted so the water flows directly to the shower head instead of going down into the "sump" created by the bottom cap, and which can get clogged with "debris". I also prefer to assemble and solder the valve and piping "in place". As for the galvanized riser, it was often done, with female tapped valve bodies, as long as we had the right sized piece of pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks