Water pressure is not constant

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottnot So Handy

Reaction score
Good Morning and hello,
Fairly new to this forum but after reading some awesome articles it is now in my favorites!

Anyway I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. As my name states I am not very good at being a handy man but it is not from lack of effort!
Anyway my problem is my water pressure through out the house goes up and down. Doesn't matter day or night. Also I noticed yesterday while I was in the basement a switch (assuming water pump switch) would keep clicking when the water was running. It would click twice, one right after another, then stop for about 30 seconds and start again. Also the copper pipe attached to the pressure tank vibrates alot every time it clicks. This goes on for awhile then it shuts off.

back ground information
I am on a well
I recently had the hot water heater replaced ( 2 weeks ago)
I replaced the pressure tank about 10 years ago.

Hopefully this is enough to get some advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance!!!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hopefully this is enough to get some advice from you guys.

Not really.
What kind of pump, jet or submersed? What is the pressure guage showing through all that? Have you checked the precharge on the bladder?

From the sounds of it, it may be too late to save the pump. It sounds like it is short cycling and the thermal overload is tripping.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pump cycling on and off? That is usually a sign of a "waterlogged" pressure tank so you are operating on "pump pressure" which will rise and fall as the pressure switch turns the pump on and off.

Scottnot So Handy

Reaction score
Thanks LL and hj
I will go home at lunch and check the pressure. Not sure what kind of pump it is, is there a way to tell what kind you have?

Can I drain the water out of the pressure tank?

Thanks again

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Can I drain the water out of the pressure tank

Depending on the type, you may just have to put air INTO it, but there is a specific process to do it. If you depress the air valve and water comes out, then you need a new tank.

Scottnot So Handy

Reaction score
HJ, you where right, it was the pressure tank. Tank was completely full of water. Installed a new one and the water pressure is good!

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks