Pre filter before water softner and a few more questions

Users who are viewing this thread

mrginas

Reaction score
I live in cent fl. I am goingtoinstall a water softener in my home ,the hardness I was told was 11 grains. There are just two of us but we do have people visit sometimes . What size should I be putting in and should I install a pre filter for chlorine and sediment ? Has anyone heard of a company named Nova Filters. They make filters for homes ,up to industrial use. I was thinking of buying a softener online. I have see them from around 500 or so..one of the company's was pentair and it comes with media loaded and a fleck valve. I was looking to get the mechanical valve vs the electronic . I was told this because of all the lighting storms in the summer months. Any information would be great . Thank you , Tom

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A mechanical softener is good but to buy one just because of lighting storms is not wise. They can suffer from lighting strikes along with any elect or electronic devices in your home. If you don't have multiple showers heads or body sprayers, the Fleck 5600 is the best mechanical valve on the market. IMO the Clack valve is the best electronic softener on the market. As for chlorine removal, if your are going to use a prefilter, get a 20" "BigBlue" housing and CBC carbon filter. You might want to look at an auto backwash cabon filter. It will last longer with less maintenance over the inline filter.

mrginas

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I live in the villages fl andi was told the hardness level was 11 grains. Can you suggest the size of softner I would need? There are two of us and we have guests every now and then., Tom

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 1 CF system will do just fine. Fleck is made by Pentair and is available from a lot of different vendors. Clack on the other hand is available by fewer because of the restrictions Clack has put on some online vendors.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The only thing I would add is what is your bathroom count and pipe size? By code, the system should be designed to the size of the house/plumbing, and not to the current occupany level.

A 1 cu. ft. system should work just fine, but if you have a larger house, then the system may need to be larger to accomodate the potential higher flow rates. This is more of a code issue rather than what is actually needed though.

BB filters are often used as pre-filtration, I rarely recommend them but we do sell huge quantities of them due to their lower cost. I would highly recommend a seperate tank system with carbon.

As to the lightning issue... what do you do about your other electronic items? TV, microwaves, computers, DVR, etc? The house should be adequately protected. In the case of a power outage, the electronic Fleck systems will hold the correct time for up to 12 hours and does not a have a bettery backup so you will not need to replace a battery if the power goes out. I used to be a big fan of the electro-mechanical designs, but the advantages of the electronic systems and high reliability have swayed me to the electronic side.

Nova makes some very high end filtration, I wa sunaware of them making residential style equipment. I assume you are referring to the guys down in Tampa.

Stay away from the cheapest online sellers. Most of these guys do not stock equipment, they just have it drop shipped and are unaware of what you would be getting. Check out some of their adresses, they are UPS PO boxes. I would recommend spending a little more money and buying from an actual company that has a physical warehouse and a real address.

Good luck!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good points Ditto. The Villages is a retirement community north of Orlando. Over 95% of the homes are 2 bathroom with 3/4 CPVC piping. I have dozens of customers there so that is how I know. As far as Nova, when I looked them up on the net, I got the same impression that they where geared for commerical applications rather than residental.

ditttohead

Reaction score
3/4"... perfect for a 1 Cu. Ft. system, especially at that low of hardness. I may have to drop by and say hi next time I am in Florida. I try to get there at least a few times per year. I am trying to schedule something for next month or July at the latest.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I have many large customer in Florida and the East Coast in general. I like to visit with them a few times a year. plus.. Florida is a beautiful state, other than the bugs and the ridiculous humidity.

mrginas

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman for your advice. It's great that you can find people that are willing to take the time to share thir knowledge wit others.

mrginas

Reaction score
A mechanical softener is good but to buy one just because of lighting storms is not wise. They can suffer from lighting strikes along with any elect or electronic devices in your home. If you don't have multiple showers heads or body sprayers, the Fleck 5600 is the best mechanical valve on the market. IMO the Clack valve is the best electronic softener on the market. As for chlorine removal, if your are going to use a prefilter, get a 20" "BigBlue" housing and CBC carbon filter. You might want to look at an auto backwash cabon filter. It will last longer with less maintenance over the inline filter.

Good afternoon
We has a few discussions about my rain soft system which I got off my daughter. I do understand you have a company. If yo read over my posts you will see information regarding my home and water usages. Could you give me a ball park figure on a system for my home. Thanks. Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks