Low water pressure from water coming out of acid neutralizer. Bypass pressure is OK

Users who are viewing this thread

rob742

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had to replace my well pump and pressure tank. After I did this I put my acid Neutralizer in bypass mode until the water coming out of the faucets was clear.It was rust colored so I have waited 3 days for it to become clear. But now when I put the acid neutralizer back into service, I find the water pressure is low. It drops way down if I open 2 faucets at the same time. But if I bypass the Neutralizer then the pressure is good. What could have happened and what can I do to fix this problem? I tried putting the neutralizer in backwash cycle but it did not solve problem. I will try a couple of more backwash cycles.. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the pH neutralizer have a backwash valve or is it an in/out type. How old is the media? It sounds as though the media has packed down and is restricting the water flow.

rob742

Reaction score
It is a Autotrol 440i control. There is a knob that can be turned to backwash position then water comes out of the drain going to the septic pipe. It will backwash for 20 minutes. I have added a 5 gallon container of MB700 calcite corosex media to the little media left about 2 weeks ago. The tank is about 1/5 full of media. I was going to buy more media but now will wait. I tried the backwash and clean cycle 3 times but nothing has changed. The plumber I have been dealing with does not like the calcite corosex mix. He says it gets very hard. The tank is 10 years old and has never been serviced. I have just been adding media to it as it gets low

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
He's right. The media will get hard preventing water flow. You might want to remove the head and check the media. It might be time to empty and refill

Cobra1365

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem recently. Though I empty and refill the tank every year, I never really gave it the thorough cleaning it needed. When I took the "intake line" out of the tank, it was caked with a red clay like substance (Iron residue?). Once I cleaned all of that off and gave the tank a REALLY good cleaning inside, the water pressure picked right back up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks