Toto Drake II vs Aquia - Ostomy bag

Users who are viewing this thread

wlpitcher

Reaction score
My wife has an ostomy bag which she empties onto the front wall on the toilet, between her legs. Contents are sticky, varying from lumps to applesauce. I was thinking of a Drake ii with the double cyclone flush, but saw a video of the Aquia which seemed to have a flush directly in the front.

Which would you recommend, or something else.

Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Terry has a specific recommendation, but I will chime in with some background.

The Drake II uses the Double-Cyclone flush. It swirls the water around the bowl for bowl rinse. A good deal of the flush water, however, is used in the siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl to help powerfully-flush solids. In other words, it doesn't flow through the bowl, but under it.

In the Aquia, however, Toto uses a "washdown" flush. There is no siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl. Instead, all of the flush water runs down and through the bowl. If bowl rinse in the front is important, as in your case, the washdown flush may help get the waste off the bowl. However, if you put a bunch of stuff in the front of the bowl and blast water into it, I'm not sure but I think you probably don't want to be sitting there when you flush.

Here's a decent video of the Aquia washdown flush:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had the TOTO Aquia for a while, and then changed it for a TOTO Double Cyclone.
The Aquia was pre Ostomy bag, and the double cyclone was during the time I had the Ostomy bag installed. I know the double cyclone works very well. And I'm sure the Aquia would too.
I did find a lot of bowls that were horrible with the Ostomy bag.
I didn't care for pressure assist bowls. Lots of water for the siphon jet, but not always rinsing in the right spot, the front portion of the bowl.
With some bowls, when you emptied the bag, it would just stay there looking back at you. The combination of the CEFIONTECT finish and the double cyclone just swept the bowl clean. There were times I was so glad to be back home with a toilet bowl that worked the first time.

I encountered some bowls that would take five complete flushes with the handle held down. That was about 15 gallons of water and waiting for that many refills before I was done with the bathroom. Talk about being embarrassed camping out in the bathroom that long.

The old Kohler Ingenium was bad.
Some of the Flushometer bowls were very bad, sometimes putting no water near the end of the bowl. It was a wonder that hospitals and clinics would have such bad bowls to use when they knew that customers with Ostomy bags had to use them.

Having an Ostomy bag was a wonderful way to test bowl wash. I no longer have that "advantage" as mine was removed in November of 2011.
It did make swimming in the Ocean interesting, and ski racing with one kept me a little cautious.
It was pretty convenient in some ways. I mean sometimes you just lifted up your shirt and emptied it. Great for hiking.

So if you have an Ostomy Bag, by all means, pick up a TOTO with double cyclone.
Drake II
Ultramax II
Vespin II
Carlyle II
Soiree
Guinevere

My girl friend had a Glacier Bay when I met here, and of course I installed a Drake II over there. Huge difference!

And wjcandee, Flushing while sitting worked fine.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What a thoughtful and thorough post by Terry.

I looked back at my post and realize I was unclear in discussing the potential splash issue. I was concerned only about splash from the Aquia if the washdown flush encountered a significant quantity of solid material near the front of the bowl, although I didn't say that well.

It's nice to know that the double-cyclone works as well as it apparently does.

wlpitcher

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, that gives me the confidence I was looking for. I'll give you a confirm when we have it up and running.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
My father had a ostomy bag but didn't dump it between his legs. He used a plastic container that fit a bathroom sink perfectly. He emptied it there, cleaned, rinsed, etc. and then dumped into the toilet. This was in late 2000 so maybe they have changed a lot? The empting flap had to be rolled up using a special locking clip.

How do they release gas these days? I found a little valve online that one installs high up on each bag. I was the bag prep guy and my sister changed them as he was 86 years old at the time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can dump them in a container, but it's easier with an elongated bowl to just do it all there while sitting.
Plus, you can't take all that other stuff with you when you go out.

You can order bags with a vent now; a little less air build up.
And you have a choice of diffent closing methods.

http://www.bestbuyostomy.com/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks