(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Unifit on home owner remodel

Default Unifit on home owner remodel

Greetings

Thanks everyone for such an informative forum. I've learned a great deal here and it's been a wonderful self-study resource!

Remodeling my own bathroom, first time. Enjoying the process so far. The old 1939 drain pipe and iron flange are in great shape, though the latter might need removal and replacement to put tile under. The centre of the drain is horizontally 14.5" from the (demolished) wall studs... Code says 15" separation from the new finished wall needed. Planned to put in a Toto Unifit toilet. Had a couple of questions:

(1) Is it best on inspection to raise the lack of 1" separation to the inspector and/or just fix it ahead of time? Is there such a thing as a 'grandfathered in' rule in such cases? I'd sooner not cut that big hunk of cast iron in the crawl space for sake of 1" of movement... messy job, but will do so if there's no alternative. What's there is perfectly functional.

(2) Does a toilet like the Guinevere have any horizontal flexibility in it - can one get by with rotating the fitting slightly to move the toilet 1" left, or is this a no-go? I've not seen one in person yet.

Thank you, Neil

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In an old 1939 home I have not had an inspector make me change that dimension.
    Some old homes in Seattle are 7 feet for the bath. That meant 24" for the toilet and 24" for the lav.
    Way too small by today's standards.
    Unless you are changing the closet arm, I wouldn't worry about that small difference.

The Unifit does not change anything sidewise. Just front to back in 2" jumps.

Caroma does make a swivel adapter on their 270 bowl that allows for some shifting, it's a 10" to 12" bowl that allows for some sidewise shift.

The Caroma 270 bowl uses an offset adapter so you can adjust the rough-in from 12" to 10"
    Or you can shift the bowl sidewise.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Default Thank you!

Terry -

Thank you so much. If I can buy wares from Love in San Francisco area online would be happy to do so given how helpful this has been... have been losing sleep over this one, everything else is taken care of!

My flange is 13" from the back drywall. So the Caroma will allow me to get sideways shift at the expense of a 1" larger gap at the back. The plan will be to see if the inspector wants it corrected. If - and presuming, not, as you say, I'll buy the Toto I'm after; if he does, I'll just buy a Caroma. No problem!

Many thanks again

Neil