What caulk to use to seal water pipe through basement wall

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
I need caulk or another material recommendation.

My 1 inch plastic water pipe comes through my basement wall inside a plastic sleeve. Where the pipe comes through the wall, the space between the inside of the sleeve and the outside of the pipe is caulked with some kind of caulk (silicone?) to prevent ground water from coming through the sleeve. The seal between the caulk and pipe is broken due to recent plumbing work & some ground water is dripping between sleeve & pipe due to recent heavy rains. Once this dries, I need to replace this caulk with the best material I can buy.

What should I use? 100% silicon caulk similar to GE Silicone II? Silicone Rubber? Plumbers Goop? Or something else?

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Here is an image of what I described in this post.
Bsement water line.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would be thinking 100% Silicone on that.
Too bad it can't be sealed from the outside. Water pushing up against the foundation is hard to seal.
Sometimes gravel to drain the water away from the foundation is nice.

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Best way to remove old silicone caulk?

I would be thinking 100% Silicone on that.
Too bad it can't be sealed from the outside. Water pushing up against the foundation is hard to seal.
Sometimes gravel to drain the water away from the foundation is nice.

I agree -- too bad the past homeowners did not seal the sleeve from the outside. But there appears to be very little water in the sleeve. So far about 7 ounces has drained out and the drip is slowing, so I am probably seeing years of moisture accumulation in the sleeve. There is a gravel drain field in front of the porch that drains away most of the water so at least that was done right.

I will use 100% silicone (GE Silicone II) to replace the old silicone.

Terry, do you have any recommendation on how to remove the old silicone without damaging the 1" plastic water pipe? I was going to use a small screwdriver to cut into the silicone and pull off pieces with a needle nose pliers. Is there a better way?

Thanks for the help. Wish I lived in your area so that I could hire you to do my plumbing jobs. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks