(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Connection of Water Intake Pipes to Shower Valve

Default Connection of Water Intake Pipes to Shower Valve

I am installing a Moen 3570 valve (http://www.moen.com/m-pact/moentrol-...ONSUMER%3A3570) in a bathroom.

The existing hot / cold 1/2" copper pipes are running vertically out of the floor, only around 7" apart. That means that if I use 2 90degree FTG Elbows (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...52H/100348183), I will be barely able to fit the valve in, without any modifications.

The documentation for 3570 is silent on whether this is allowed. However, other documentations on the Moen's site suggest the water pipes coming out of the floor should be running parallel, 12"-18" apart. So, both the hot and cold pipes would need a 3"-5" horizontal pipe (from a 90degree elbow) before entering the valve.

I hope this is clear. Naturally, I would prefer the easier solution, if it does not cause noise / pressure / other problems.

Any insight on this project would be appreciated.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

You can use a pair of 45's to get more distance between the pipes before they reach the shower valve.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    You can use a pair of 45's to get more distance between the pipes before they reach the shower valve.
    Thank you. I actually have enough clearance to connect a pair of street 90 degree elbows to the valve and do not "need" to get more distance. The question really is whether I "should" do it (i.e. any benefit to it)?! If I get more distance between the risers and the valves, then I need a small hortizontal pipe between the 90 elbow and the valve intake.

Thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whatever it takes.

You can run the pipe in circles if needed.

They're saying "In a perfect world." it would be nice to have them with that kind of spread.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Fittings are more expensive than straight pipe. Extra changes of direction do slow things down some, but in this application, shouldn't be an issue.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014