Uneven hot and cold flow after valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

remodelingit

Reaction score
Just finished replacing valves in price pfister tub and shower valve assembly with independent hot and cold valves with tub and shower diverter valve. It looks like a pretty standard unit- I bout the valves at the orange box.

Issue: I have to open the hot water valve a couple of rotations to get full volume. I only have to open the the cold valve a third of a turn to get full volume. This makes it very difficult to establish a comfortable temperature.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks!

JPB

remodelingit

Reaction score
Bueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone Bueller????

How about a response from the plumbing wonks? Beueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone, Buerller????

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the washer on the hot side stem is loose.Try pulling that stem and seeing if it is flat or beveled . You want a flat washer at least on the hot side so as it swells from heat it doesn't close off the flow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

In that case, I would have repaired it differently. Your stems may have different thread pitches so they open at different rates. Does the cold continue turning after you reach full flow? Or does it just open a 1/3 turn and stop?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks