Toro 53709 valve won't close

Users who are viewing this thread

donl1150

Reaction score
Trying to get yet the system fired up for the year. Got all zones working except one. Replaced the solenoid and it still won't shut properly. Have not unscrewed to get to the diaphragm but is that the likely cause it won't shut off? Some debris stuck in there perhaps? Other possibilities?

Thanks

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Trying to get yet the system fired up for the year. Got all zones working except one. Replaced the solenoid and it still won't shut properly. Have not unscrewed to get to the diaphragm but is that the likely cause it won't shut off? Some debris stuck in there perhaps? Other possibilities?

Thanks
Did you replace JUST the solenoid itself, or the whole valve? My limited experience has taught me that these valves have to have thier solenoids screwed into them at the correct depth, or they will not properly seat the pilot (solenoid plunger) seal and this will cause the diaphragm seal to not seat. Using the wrong solenoid, plunger, or incorrect spacer, itf any can do this too.

Or, the diaphragm may have a crack or dirt like you said in its seat area. Just get a rebuild kit or a new valve assembly to have on hand in case you need anything additional as they are cheap enough. I think the whole assembly costs just a little more than the repair parts

donl1150

Reaction score
Well, I took the valve body apart, cleaned it up and tried again. Still won't shut off. I did just replace the solenoid only. I then took it apart again and this time discovered a tiny pebble, about 1/16" in diameter. Got that out and now it shuts off except one small 1/4 round fixed spray head is still leaking ever so slightly. The remaining 180 degree heads all shut off.

I wonder if the diaphragm was damaged by the pebble and just enough water is getting by to open that fixed spray head but not enough pressure to open the bigger heads?

Are there any good websites to get the repair parts for these valves? The big box stores don't carry repair parts.

Don

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, I took the valve body apart, cleaned it up and tried again. Still won't shut off. I did just replace the solenoid only. I then took it apart again and this time discovered a tiny pebble, about 1/16" in diameter. Got that out and now it shuts off except one small 1/4 round fixed spray head is still leaking ever so slightly. The remaining 180 degree heads all shut off.

I wonder if the diaphragm was damaged by the pebble and just enough water is getting by to open that fixed spray head but not enough pressure to open the bigger heads?

Are there any good websites to get the repair parts for these valves? The big box stores don't carry repair parts.

Don
Don, Goog;le is your friend; use it: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Toro-Irrigation-Valves-Replacement-Parts-s/7343.htm.

http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/valves/inline/53709.html

I've bought lots of irrigation stuff from them and they are a good vendor, although I am sure their are plenty others out there

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks