16 Gauge Wire in Circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

achaean27

Reaction score
I have a setup where I need to connect a pump (ac motor) to a relay switch that is hard wired to a 15 amp electrical circuit (14 gauge wire). The maximum wire size to connect the pump motor is 16 gauge. Below would be the setup:

15 amp breaker @ 14 gauge wire --> Relay --> Pump

The amp draw of the pump is no more than 3 amps. Most of the time it would be 1.5 amps.

My question is, can I connect a 16 gauge wire from the relay to the pump? Is there a better way to wire this?

Reaction score
"The maximum wire size to connect the pump motor is 16 gauge"

If the pump comes from the manufacturer with 16 ga, you can wire that to the relay. But you cannot use any 16 ga anywhere else in your rig, it all must be 14 ga.

Why is the maximum to the pump 16 ga? Why can it not be 14 ga?

achaean27

Reaction score
"The maximum wire size to connect the pump motor is 16 gauge"

If the pump comes from the manufacturer with 16 ga, you can wire that to the relay. But you cannot use any 16 ga anywhere else in your rig, it all must be 14 ga.

Why is the maximum to the pump 16 ga? Why can it not be 14 ga?

I'm not sure why the motor is 16 ga, but that's what the technician says. Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try just to the relay.

Reaction score
I'm not sure why the motor is 16 ga, but that's what the technician says. Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try just to the relay.

The manufacturer is not bound by the code the way we are.

The cords on the various things you plug into a 20 amp general purpose circuit are not 12 ga, are they? They are large enough for the item being plugged in.

Look inside a dish washer some time. Not much 12 ga in there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The manufacturer of the device knows the internal load and needs of what's inside and then, it is tested for proper operation so knowing what they know, they can and often do use smaller wires than the circuit that may feed it. Up to the device, the wire must be sized based on the protection device (the fuse or CB)...after that, in the device, anything goes once it has passed testing. This is why you can plug in a lamp with a 50W (less than 0.5A) load into say a 20A branch circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks