Uponor PEX connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could you please tell me what kind of connector is pictures? Is this PEX?
Thanks

Attachments

• pex-connector.jpg
    pex-connector.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,048

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Looks to me to be a transition fitting. It's first soldered to the copper, then you attach the PEX. The plastic pipe should have some markings on it to identify the maker and the type. They're usually repeated all along the entire length of the roll of tubing. It might be Wirsbo/Uphonor, as that's not a crimp connection (Wirsbo/Uphonor use an expansion system with a reinforcing ring). I don't deal with the stuff enough to be sure, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerome7

Reaction score
Yep. I was curious about that ring that keeps the plastic tube securely tighten to the copper. I haven never seen this kind before.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex tubing has 'memory'. There are basically three ways to make a pex connection: a compression fitting like a Sharkbite or one that uses a compression ring and a nut; a barbed fitting and a crimp ring; an expansion system that uses a (larger diameter barb) where the tubing is expanded with a tool, slipped over the barb, then left to collapse back onto the barbs to make the connection. They add the compression ring on top of the tubing to force it to have more force when it collapses (they are both expanded with the tool prior to sliding it over the fitting). I'm still not sure exactly what you have - it could be one of the first types where you just push the tubing into the fitting (those often have an o-ring to make the seal, then something to grip or hold the tubing in place).

ssweb

Reaction score
This seems as good a place to ask this question,

Once one of these Uponor fittings is set. Is it ok to turn the pipe in the connector. In this example if I took a pipe wrench to the pipe and turned the pipe in the current position would the seal get broken?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This seems as good a place to ask this question,

Once one of these Uponor fittings is set. Is it ok to turn the pipe in the connector. In this example if I took a pipe wrench to the pipe and turned the pipe in the current position would the seal get broken?

Maybe and maybe not.
I can turn them before the snug up. I haven't tried after that.

ssweb

Reaction score
In this case I was able to the pipe after it was snug. I am curious if this might be a problem later on.

This is a virgin use of these connectors and PEX.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's not leaking now, I think you're good.
I just looked at a water heater leak on the incoming supply, CPVC. It came apart in my hands. I will be repiping that in PEX.

cpvc-wh-break.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks