Advice dealing with plumber -- Aquatic Tub Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

tilleyd

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an owner/builder and we just moved into our home. We have a brand new Luxeair 21 whirlpool tub which was installed by our plumber and after first use we noticed a leak down to the ceiling below. My plumber dropped by and blamed the leak on a missing screw in the overflow valve which I replaced but the leak persists. Over the phone I explained to him that the leak continues and he asked if running the tub jets is triggering leak. I said no. Now, I've left two voicemails with my plumber, hoping he will reply back. My fear is my plumber might try to blame the tub manufacturer and evade any liability to pay for the damaged ceiling repairs below(sheetrock, tape, mud, painting) here.

To further complicate matters, our tub is set in a framed deck that has a tile face with no access panel. There is a side access panel at the (head) but looking through it I can't seem to see where the leak may be occurring. I'm thinking the plumber will need to cut the finished ceiling sheetrock from below and diagnose the leak properly since tearing up the tile would probably be more expensive.

I believe this is still a plumbing issue where he didn't properly do something. What do you suggest is my best option/approach at this point? He is a registered master plumber with no complaints under his name. The plumber is a solo shop as he is studying to be a nurse when he's not plumbing. Now, I've already made my final payment to the plumber for the entire whole house plumbing so I don't really have any leverage with withholding a payment either.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tilley

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The first place I would look is the tub waste and overflow. Most leaks happen there, and they are the easiest to fix. If you have water below the jets and it's leaking, then it may be the shoe. It could also be on the water supply to the tub spout, or in some cases water getting past the overflow if that is loose or improperly seald. There will be a rubber seal that clamps between tub and overflow.

If you raise the water above the jets, then depending on overflow style, could be at a higher slipjoint connection.
Also the jet piping becomes a consideration.

Does this have a hand spray? Once more source for a leak. Even if it's just water running back down the hose when using it.

tilleyd

Reaction score
Thanks

The first place I would look is the tub waste and overflow. Most leaks happen there, and they are the easiest to fix. If you have water below the jets and it's leaking, then it may be the shoe. It could also be on the water supply to the tub spout, or in some cases water getting past the overflow if that is loose or improperly seald. There will be a rubber seal that clamps between tub and overflow.

If you raise the water above the jets, then depending on overflow style, could be at a higher slipjoint connection.
Also the jet piping becomes a consideration.

Does this have a hand spray? Once more source for a leak. Even if it's just water running back down the hose when using it.

Terry, thanks for the great advice, I'll pass it onto my plumber. There is a hand spray attached (Delta Dryden series) but the leaking starts independent of its use so I don't think that's the leak point.

Thanks again. The altruism on this forum is simply amazing!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks