Help with the proper connectors with cast to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thanks, hopefully Terry or someone else who removes these allot will chime in.

When I stopped by the Ferguson supply house they said that was probably the type of drain that I had by showing them the pictures. The shower kit I'm putting in has a 4" hole so I will need to put in a larger drain for sure.
Not necessarily...the diameter and shape of the grate adapter part could easily be 4", but it would taper down to a standard 2" drain line when you take all of the parts(while they do make 3" and 4" shower drains, you probably don't have or need one).

RK05

Reaction score
So, it looks as if this may be a bigger project than I thought. I just got off the phone with Sterling and the reason they don't give a vertical height dimension for the drain hole is because there is none! The hole pretty much meets at the floor.

I guess i could always put back in a bed floor like there was before and use the existing drain or see what its going to cost me to get a plumber in to drop the right drain connection into the floor. :(

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have the shower pan it is quite easy to see what is required. The Vickrell pans require a recess in the floor for the bottom of the shower drain assembly to sit in. I would just cut a 12" square hole in the floor and dig it out so that the riser can be inspected. With an old galvanized riser it might be best to cut it off and transition to PVC pipe to ensure a good seal to the new drain assembly.

RK05

Reaction score
If you have the shower pan it is quite easy to see what is required. The Vickrell pans require a recess in the floor for the bottom of the shower drain assembly to sit in. I would just cut a 12" square hole in the floor and dig it out so that the riser can be inspected. With an old galvanized riser it might be best to cut it off and transition to PVC pipe to ensure a good seal to the new drain assembly.

I think that may be my best way to tackle this.

What would be my best way to get down and around the pipe? I want to be careful not to break it but I don't want to spend all day getting to it.

Do I need to rent a small electric jack hammer and a concrete saw or could I possible do this with my electric demo hammer?

I just realized there is a shower forum, should this post be removed to there?

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Small cuts like that can be made very neatly using a circular saw with a diamond blade in it. Once the cut is to the max blade depth, it can be knocked out with a few taps of a sledge. Use lots of water to keep the dust down when cutting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks