Tapping into main stack cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

JesseBrud

Reaction score
I am putting a wet bar in my basement and I was wondering if it's OK to tap into the 4" cleanout in the main waste stack in the basement. There is a 4" cap (threaded) on the cleanout -- can I remove the cap and run a threaded 4" pipe (on one end) out of it and reduce it down to 1.5" for the wet bar drain? I'll vent the wet bar appropriately.

If I can - do I need to provide another cleanout in it's place?

Thanks

JesseBrud

Reaction score
But could I put in a 4 x 1 1/2 tee and add a 4" cleanout above it? Then use the 1 1/2 tee for my fixture drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

Practically, yes. Legally, and properly, No. You at least need a proper vent to do it legally, and the fitting you would need is so specailized that very few plumbing wholesalers would even have it.

JesseBrud

Reaction score
so it sounds like my best option is to just cut in a new tee in the main stack below the cleanout? Since the stack is PVC, that's not a terribly big deal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks