(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to keep a water heater replacement from turning into a disaster.

My friend from Denver likes Bell plumbing and heating.

Quote Originally Posted by cwhyu2 View Post
    My friend from Denver likes Bell plumbing and heating.
    He must be rich then - they're known for being absolute retail top price - the kind of company that the rich call when money is no object. Someone said this would cost me $2800 if I went to them.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers
    http://DenverProcessServers.net/

Cool. So I hope you have a good phone and installation experience tomorrow, and you are in hot water heaven by evening.

Concerned about Melissa's experience, I tried calling Sears myself today just to see how my experience would be. Figured that their call-routing system may send the weekend calls to the Philippine call center but maybe it was set up differently during business hours -- just like my doctor's office is.

Sure enough. I selected option "3", and within seconds was speaking to a knowledgeable, enthusiastic American water-heater-sales dude who was ready to hook me up if I needed same-day installation.

In order to avoid the kind of disappointment that Melissa experienced, they probably should make it clearer that the same-day service is Monday through Friday, but it is heartening to know that the service does exist and is readily-available without being "transferred all over the place" when you call during normal business hours.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Cool. So I hope you have a good phone and installation experience tomorrow, and you are in hot water heaven by evening.
    Yeah, the only time in my life that I've wished for days, that I could be in hot water!

anyway, we got right through this AM and it should wind up costing us a hair over $1000 ( maybe $1020 ) with tax and all. They will be calling within 2 hrs to tell us when, but it will be installed today! YAY!!!
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

This is now officially a NIGHTMARE!!

The Sears plumber came over and said that because this is a modular ( UBC ) home on a foundation, we have a sealed combustion water heater and they can't get one! I'm freaking out!

The model we have is a Rheem 21140DV.

Update: Actually found out it's a 21i40DV.

Turns out that I had to contact the dealer who sold us the modular home, and they put us in touch with only ONE guy here in town, who has these water heaters, and it will cost a fortune and he can't do it till tomorrow late.

Shoot me....
    Last edited by Melissa2007B; 05-13-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa2007B View Post
    This is now officially a NIGHTMARE!!

The Sears plumber came over and said that because this is a modular ( UBC ) home on a foundation, we have a sealed combustion water heater and they can't get one! I'm freaking out!

The model we have is a Rheem 21140DV.
    At least someone was honest with you, unlike your rooter guys.

The replacement for that model seems to be the Rheem Warrior 21VR40DV. http://www.rheem.com/product/residen...or-direct-vent

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Yes back to what I posted earlier you need to contact someone that doe's work on mobile home call some of the mobile home parks in your area and see who they use to replace water heaters ?

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

At least someone was honest with you, unlike your rooter guys.

The replacement for that model seems to be the Rheem Warrior 21VR40DV. http://www.rheem.com/product/residen...or-direct-vent
    I guess I was updating my post right when you replied.

Update: Actually found out it's a 21i40DV.

Turns out that I had to contact the dealer who sold us the modular home, and they put us in touch with only ONE guy here in town, who has these water heaters, and it will cost a fortune and he can't do it till tomorrow late.

Shoot me....

But what I found out today is that it's called a "cumbustion air" or "sealed combustion" water heater, only one guy in town who does mobile/modular work, has them, other wise they gotta be ordered ( 2 weeks! ) and this guy is gonna get $1700 installed for it!

Shoot me....
    Last edited by Melissa2007B; 05-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

So the DV stands for "direct vent", I understand.

Macplumb: Is the "direct vent" aspect why she can't use this one? (sears mobile home water heater)

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-40-gal-...&blockType=G24

This one is certainly widely available in Sears stores and for delivery in Denver.

Melissa -- only other maybe dumb suggestion. If it were I, I would call sears back and say, Hey, this is the one we have, Rheem whatever, and do they have a comparable one? Ask if they have a direct vent mobile home water heater? Just the only other thought.

Did the Sears plumber say HE didn't have a same-day water heater for you? Or that Sears didn't make/sell a comparable one?

So the DV stands for "direct vent", I understand.

Macplumb: Is the "direct vent" aspect why she can't use this one? (sears mobile home water heater)

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-40-gal-...&blockType=G24

This one is certainly widely available in Sears stores and for delivery in Denver.

Melissa -- only other maybe dumb suggestion. If it were I, I would call sears back and say, Hey, this is the one we have, Rheem whatever, and do they have a comparable one? Ask if they have a direct vent mobile home water heater? Just the only other thought.

Did the Sears plumber say HE didn't have a same-day water heater for you? Or that Sears didn't make/sell a comparable one?
    That one says for outside access only? Like outside the house? This one is in the laundry room.

Sears told me that they only had a 30 gallon that would work, not acceptable.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

I`m sorry you are have so much trouble getting a water heater replacement, and this just a thought but have you considered tankless.
    Research a little, wish I could be more help.

Quote Originally Posted by cwhyu2 View Post
    I`m sorry you are have so much trouble getting a water heater replacement, and this just a thought but have you considered tankless.
    Research a little, wish I could be more help.
    We have, and we have 3 bathrooms here and the kitchen. I understand it would be around $700 each, plus a HUGE cost to run a separate electric hookup to them.

THEN again, this is a modular house and though it's on a foundation with a crawl space, it still has insulation and plastic sheeting underneath it, which would have to be removed for that.

AND if things really hit the fan, like we expect any time ( as in global economic Collapse, the likes of which has never been seen before, from all the out of control government shenanigans in recent years ) and we have no electricity for 6-12 months, THEN WHAT? We may still have water and natural gas, but maybe no electricity. So electric instant heaters may not be a good idea, even if the above weren't the case.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

I understand your concerns, but there are gas fired tankless water heater for whole house, and yes they do require electric but it can go in the same place as your old water heater.I will post a picture of one my installs.

Default Tankless

This one on a remodel job last year.And they can be direct vent.
    Attached Images Attached Images