Trying to keep a water heater replacement from turning into a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You don't know how much you take it for granted, until you don't have hot water for a couple of days

That is Very Very True.

And I thank God every time I take a Hot shower.

Guess I may be crazy, But I agree.

I remember heating Water on the Wood or Coal Stove to take a bath.

Now Kids can move the TV around anywhere in the house and watch it.

And they don't thank anyone...

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Decent price for a Rheem Warrior DV installed. If you want to share the company name, we'll have it "on file" for next time.

Yeah OK: Sacry Heating and Air, which is Ken Sacry and his nephew. Very nice guys.

As far as the Rheem, the one that came with the house lasted about 8 1/2 years but we're hearing rumors that they only last 5 nowdays?

What are they, made at an iron furnace in someone's back yard in China? ( and don't laugh - we actually bought an aviary for our mbrella cockatoo, that looks like it was welded in someone's back yard in China, the country it was made in. )

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
That is great.

I bet you smell better now.

Enjoy being in Hot Water.

OH YEAHHHHH!! Thanks. It will need some tweaking - they set them pretty low when they install, probably for liability ( if someone gets scalded, they could blame them ), so we need to adjust it up, for the 100 foot uninsulated run to the furthest tub.

We're HOPING we can afford to get someone to remove the plastic sheet from the bottom of the house, and run us a insulated pex hot water loop and pump, but we're told that JUST one of the pumps for that can cost $600?!

Whoa! I guess THAT'S not correct!: http://tinyurl.com/byyau55

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
OH YEAHHHHH!! Thanks. It will need some tweaking - they set them pretty low when they install, probably for liability ( if someone gets scalded, they could blame them ), so we need to adjust it up, for the 100 foot uninsulated run to the furthest tub.

We're HOPING we can afford to get someone to remove the plastic sheet from the bottom of the house, and run us a insulated pex hot water loop and pump, but we're told that JUST one of the pumps for that can cost $600?!

Whoa! I guess THAT'S not correct!: http://tinyurl.com/byyau55

I would just run the water for a bit, Turn it off to let the water temp recover for a bit, then jump into the shower.

Turning the temp up on the heater is not the answer, and may be why you had a problem with the original one.

Or get a Real House with insulated plumbing. Insulating is very important in your neck of the woods.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I would just run the water for a bit, Turn it off to let the water temp recover for a bit, then jump into the shower.

Turning the temp up on the heater is not the answer, and may be why you had a problem with the original one.

Or get a Real House with insulated plumbing. Insulating is very important in your neck of the woods.

Have fun.

Yeah well, unless we make a lot of money, a real house isn't an option. But yeah, we could maybe get someone to do an insulated hot water loop and pump, hopefully Sacry now.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As far as the Rheem, the one that came with the house lasted about 8 1/2 years but we're hearing rumors that they only last 5 nowdays?

I remember reading a post by our moderator HJ, who opined that the major factors in water heater longevity, of which there are several, have almost nothing to do with the manufacture of the heater and very little to do with things you can control.

It may be a little like toilet flappers: you can take the same Korky flapper and put in the same toilet, and depending on the water district in which the toilet is used, that same flapper may last 2 years or 10 years.

In the water heater forum, many of the respected pros think Rheem is a good brand.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
interesting article. I guess we should also thank mr. Ruud, whose company was acquired by the company that makes your rheem.

Which in turn is owned by Paloma water heaters out of JAPAN !

They have a pump system on the mkt. That can hook up under your bathroom lav sink and give you hot water with out running a recerc line back to wtr/htr

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I remember reading a post by our moderator HJ, who opined that the major factors in water heater longevity, of which there are several, have almost nothing to do with the manufacture of the heater and very little to do with things you can control.

It may be a little like toilet flappers: you can take the same Korky flapper and put in the same toilet, and depending on the water district in which the toilet is used, that same flapper may last 2 years or 10 years.

In the water heater forum, many of the respected pros think Rheem is a good brand.

Apparently our mountain snow runoff water helps, being low in minerals.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Which in turn is owned by Paloma water heaters out of JAPAN !

They have a pump system on the mkt. That can hook up under your bathroom lav sink and give you hot water with out running a recerc line back to wtr/htr

We looked into that but being we have uninsulated pex and long runs, it would probably cost a lot of hot water.

DonL

Reaction score
Watts up will all of the Luxuries ?

I think people are spoiled in this day and age.

I remember freezing my ass off going to the Outhouse in the winter. Thanks to the Sears catalog we survived, until they started waxing the pages.

Now everyone wants Hot Running water out of the spigot.

And they need Soft Charmin on a music playing Toilet paper holder.

Watts up with all the fancy stuff now a days ?

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I think people are spoiled in this day and age.

I remember freezing my ass off going to the Outhouse in the winter. Thanks to the Sears catalog we survived, until they started waxing the pages.

Now everyone wants Hot Running water out of the spigot.

And they need Soft Charmin on a music playing Toilet paper holder.

Watts up with all the fancy stuff now a days ?

Of course we're spoiled Don, we've had it our whole lives. I THOUGHT I could just take a shower over the weekend, with cold water, but here in Denver, our water comes from snow runoff and as soon as I ran some over my head to test it, there was sharp and rapid PAIN.

And this has got me seriously thinking. I imagine, in the event of a global economic Collapse, the likes of which the world has never seen before, we might not even have hot water, yet alone electricity or food, for some time. With all the talk from "preppers", people saving up food, guns, ammo, people still have no idea of what could happen, because we are spoiled. I think they call it the "normalcy syndrome" - the same kind of thing that the Jews in Germany did - "oh that can't happen here".

I saw this article a few days ago: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/12/5413809/preppers-ready-for-the-end-of.html

Notice the last few lines.

"It's not guns that will kill people during a societal breakdown, it will be hygiene, he said. Security isn't everything.

"You look at those guys and they buy all these guns," he said, "and they don't even have a water filter."

So if we're very serious about being able to bathe daily, even if there's no electricity ( WE ARE! ) we need to think about HOW, and NOW.

But not being rich, I don't know the answer for us. If we had a hundred million dollars, of COURSE I would know how. But I even heard the other day, that they made it illegal to catch rain water in barrels on your own property.

Plus there are so many other factors, not having enough money, that will leave us ROYALLY SCREWED if it happens, like being stuck here in the big city, to JUST pay the bills. I mean, say this global economic Collapse happens suddenly, like we're hearing it likely would. There's civil disorder. Say several cops are getting killed every day in a big city area like Denver. What happens then? The cops start quitting? Then what?

An acquaintance of mine was saying, the other day, that something like 80% of the world's population subsist on less than $10 a day, and they will likely be the ones that die when this happens, but I told him I'm not certain how many of the rest of us will survive either.

There are some, who have apparently calculated that to "save the earth", a population of no more than 1.5 billion people is "sustainable", yet we have 6 billion now, and growing. What are the plans? I don't know, but it scares me.

But for the purposes of this forum, how could someone who lives in an area that's cold most of the year, where the water comes from snow melt, and who has no money, plan for a water supply of at least 70 degrees, to bathe with every day, should the proverbial brown stuff hit the fan? Or will we have far greater worries to deal with?

DonL

Reaction score
I Think we will need to go back to the Barter system, for those that are left.

People that buy Gold are fools. You can not eat it. It will be worth very little.

Brass and Lead is a better investment. Bullets will be worth way more than gold, Gun Powder also.

You can get food using bullets and protect your food from people who try to steal it.

Water is needed, But Hot ? Not so much. Solar heating will work, unless we have a Solar Blackout. Then it will not mater.

I hear you, Loud and Clear.

Get your Spears Sharpened and Artesian Well working, then a gun to protect you and your Family.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks