Double sink rough in. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

TL

Reaction score
Hello.

Does anyone see any drain or venting issues with this rough in for a double sink? (All 1.5 inch pvc). The vertical vent tees into the shower vent in the attic and exits through the existing roof vent. I will be putting a 2x3 wall there, btw. Thanks!

Tom

Attachments

• MasterBath 041copy.jpg
    MasterBath 041copy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 8,892

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should have a 2x1.5x1.5x1.5 fixture cross there, not a 1.5" sancross.

Snaking that will be hard. They tend to skip over into the other arm.

The two 90 els above the cross should have been at 42", or if not that, at least two 45's which is considered a vertical installation.
When I have 1.5 coming from below, I do something like this.

single_to_double_lav.jpg

When I only have 1-1/2" pipe in an older home as part of a remodel I do something like this.
Not to code, but it works well.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

And this if I have 2" on the lower side.

If I'm also wet venting the toilet, then 2" all the way for the vent.

double-lav-3.jpg

2" vent for toilet.

Last edited:

TL

Reaction score
Ahhhh. . .thanks, Terry. That makes sense, but I have one problem . . .

If I were to run it as you have pictured, I have a problem at the ceiling. As you can see from the attached pic, the vertical pipe "to the drain" lands on the plate above. To the left of the plate in the ceiling joists is a 2x8 on a flat, so I'd rather not drill through that. Above the small nail to the right in the pic is electrical wiring. So, I have to enter the attic through that hole you see there. Is is acceptable to come off with a 45 wye to get there? Please see my crude edit to your pic! :p Thanks again and I eagerly await your reply.

Tom

MasterBath 042copy.jpgsingle_to_double_lav edit.JPG

Last edited:

TL

Reaction score
Hi HJ.

I'm open to suggestions! I want to get this thing done!

Tom

TL

Reaction score
Well it only took 15 minutes, so it was easy enough. Thanks, all, for the replies! Much appreciated. :)

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
hj, why do you say its overkill? Because both vents run all the way to the ceiling instead of 42" (or 6" above the fixtures)? I'm probably mixing multiple plumbing standards...

I'm just curious to hear other peoples opinions.

TL

Reaction score
And accsess how?

That would be my question also.

And I'm guessing overkill in the sense that I could save 2 feet or so of pipe by tying in that left drain vent connection at 42" or so instead of at the top. I could still do that as they are just dry fitted at this point.

Tom

Last edited:

TL

Reaction score
New question(s) that I thought should go here...

I finally got around to putting in the new sinks. In this setup above (1 1/2 inch wall drain), does it matter if the p traps are 1 1/4 inch or 1 1/2 inch?

I have two 1 1/2 inch PVC p trap kits, but the new faucets came with the 1 1/4 inch tailpieces. Do the 1 1/4 inch have a tendency to clog more often? They seem so small. Would it be better to use some kind of "reducer/expander" and use the 1 1/2 inch traps instead? What's my best bet here?

Thanks.

TL

Reaction score
I think I found the answer to my question.

If I use the 1 1/4 tailpieces, I MUST use 1 1/4 inch p traps. Is that correct? Or am I confused?

Last edited:

TL

Reaction score
I was confused.. :).

I found the reducing washers.

I just need to change the trap adapters at the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks