90 degree turn for pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome7

Reaction score
I'd like to install a handheld shower bar (and diverter) on the wall that is adjacent to the shower head. Thus the pipes need to do a 90 degree turn. How can fit the pipe in there given the studs blocking access to the corner? On the picture, the shower valve is on the wall w/ the yellow insulation and I'd like to mount the handheld bar on the wall w/o the insulation. There are 3 studs (2x4).

My shower was done in PEX but I didn't think pex can turn 90 degree in a tight space. You can see the hot water pex line on the picture. I marked in blue where the pipe should go.

Thanks
shower-joists.jpg

DaveHo

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but if they are not supporting walls you can notch the studs. After the pipe is routed you could sister some 2x4's which are notched the opposite way to beef things up. Make sure you put nail protection plates over all the studs where the pipe passes through.

-Dave

essjay

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I AM NOT A PRO and never will be.

Since the walls intersect in its not likely (read: NOT impossible however) that BOTH are load-bearing. Determine which is not (usually, but NOT always, the non load-bearing wall will run WITH (parallel) the joists). That board is there in the NLB wall then as an edge for drywall/cement board attachment. That one could then be modified to run the pipe. As per above, use plates to ensure no punctures later.

Use caution with non load bearing walls however. What is above and below also may come into consideration. If unsure, consult with a structural engineer. Ask them to identify and document ALL the structures load bearing walls - if you plan on doing alot of remodeling. Its money WELL spent.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I drill a big enough hole to slip a section of copper with a 90 already sweated on one side, and then notch the inside of the corner enough to spray a liberal amount of cool gel flame retardant onto the surrounding wood, and use the same notch get the tip of my torch in to sweat the other side of the 90.

Always have a water bottle and a fire extinguisher handy to make sure you don't burn the house down.

If you are doing all PEX, a 90 fitting would fit into the corner.

Jerome7

Reaction score
I spoke to few folks and they advised to run the pipe vertically up or down, then go horizontally diagonally in the attic or under the subfloor, and go vertically down or up in the adjacent wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks