Outside Tile Mitered Joints - Weak Spots

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Inside Miters - I would not worry, as the *strength* is on a inside edge.

I found a tile I think is *the one* for the current bathroom project.
It's exactly what I wanted - porcelin carrera marble. Marble is just not a ideal material for a bathroom with little monsters roaming ;-)
Too porus, too much upkeep, even with the best sealers used.
The porcelin lookalike has alot of variation, and FINALLY, this is the 1st one that I've seen that doesn't scream out FAKE stone lookalike..

However, bearing I can't really cut and bullnose this fake stone as the material is not all the way through in look, I may have to get creative in do outside mitered joints for some areas. My head is telling me this will be a very weak spot (edge) and it's not a good idea in any way, shape or form

Rapida

Reaction score
I am having porcelain marble tiles installed in my new bathroom too. I found some real marble pencil that's very close in color to put on the edge so that the unfinished tile is not exposed. There are schluter strips to cover the edge too. The metal ones look rather solid and does not scream cheap job/material.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I take it factory bullnose is not available? Porcelain tile usually has the same color going all the way through it, albeit the pattern on the surface doesn't. If you slightly chamfer both tiles, it would not expose as much of the substrate as a full bullnose. The grout then would make up the difference.

That said, I would probably go with a Schluter edge.

Rapida

Reaction score
Just short of real stone .....I would never use the strips.
The strips would most def. be a eyesore every time I walked in

Not all the strips are created equal. You probably saw the PVC or metal crap. I was at a Tile x Design showroom looking for exactly what you are looking for, and they showed me a white aluminum quarter circle. It is very solid made and had glossy white finish that's as good as porcelain. And I do have picky eyes. Too bad they only come in few colors - the white is too bright for my tile and the sand is too dark. But it might work for your tiles.

If strips are definitely no, I guess you just have to search all the tile shops to find a real marble bull nose piece that match the color of your tile. Natural stone has color variations more than the porcelain imitations, so you need to find a batch with minimal color variation. After extensive search, I did find some 2"x12" marble bull nose that I could use. But I opted for the pencil because my out side corner is on the tub deck. I liked the pencil which has a "lip" for better look. If I had a outside corner on walls, I'd do the marble bull nose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks