rough in in attic

Users who are viewing this thread

dhobs

Reaction score
hello everyone and thanks for looking. I am plumbing in a bathroom (sink, toilet and acrylic tub with mortar bed) in my attic, but because of limited space between joists and not really wanting to cut in or notch them i came up with this arrangement (see photos and please don't laugh). the question is will it work? and any venting issues? I realize this is probably not up to code. Also looking for comments on internal toilet flange, okay or not? i will need to use one as a female flange will put it way above the finished floor. also 010.jpg012.jpgthe sink will be upstream from the toilet but haven't gotten that far yet.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tub isn't vented. The 3 x 2" sanatary tee installed horizontally is not to code. The 3" sanitary tee just behind the tub drain is installed in the wrong position and can not be used like that under any circumstances and if the 3" running to the right is supposed to be a vent, it is flat and won't work. In short, if you have glued that mess up already, you have wasted your money and time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In short, if you have glued that mess up already, you have wasted your money and time.

Why would you not do the plumbing properly?
The entire point it to install a "working" system that is trouble free after it's covered up.

One of my customers, Gary Stapp, hired a handyman to plumb parts of his home. Similar to your pictures, it wasn't even close to being done right. And then he would complain about how much it was costing him to hire a "Rooter" company to clear his lines that kept backing up. When his soaking tub would drain, black gooey stuff would come up in the shower. When he drained his kitchen sink, the washer below would overflow onto the floor. And yet it never occured to him that it was the plumbing and how they were done in the walls that was the problem.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quoted from OP "the question is will it work? and any venting issues? I realize this is probably not up to code."

For me, that is the operative sentence in the entire post. Hopefully, he plans to get a permit and an inspection which would probably have negated the need for the post. I am always perplexed when someone realizes that what they have done does not meet code and yet still seems to want reassurance from professionals that would never even consider doing work like that. It also goes to show just how ignorant most folks are of the underlying reasons and principals of sanitary plumbing.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
There is a common belief out there that the building codes are overly convoluted, bureaucratic, archaic, novels meant to keep the elite few in business.

Of course, after bothering to actually spend the time to learn what the codes say (still working on that one...), it is obvious (to me a non-pro) that the codes are minimum standards -- not some ultra-high unreachable goal.

Asking for a sanity check is great, though...

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the codes are minimum standards

That's how I see them too. I like to do a bit better then minimum for sure. They kind of grew to solve problems as we learned more. Even when done to code, stuff happens.

dhobs

Reaction score
code

Quoted from OP "the question is will it work? and any venting issues? I realize this is probably not up to code."

For me, that is the operative sentence in the entire post. Hopefully, he plans to get a permit and an inspection which would probably have negated the need for the post. I am always perplexed when someone realizes that what they have done does not meet code and yet still seems to want reassurance from professionals that would never even consider doing work like that. It also goes to show just how ignorant most folks are of the underlying reasons and principals of sanitary plumbing.

Well after reading the replies, i guess my only option is to tear out ALL the existing plumbing including the original plumbing put in when the house was built (1951). There are no vents to the first floor bathroom (the original) other than the vent stack itself, I know because i have gutted the walls, and i have never had a problem. the only other vent in the house is for the kitchen sink on the other side of the house. I am not a plumber, i drive a tractor trailer for a living. i was simply looking for a solution other than major renovations to the house. As far as Code goes, this is Baltimore, Maryland and the majority of the houses here are pre 1931 construction, if all renovations were done up to Code, they would probably have to level the city and start over.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your best option is to hire a professional plumber to design and make your renovation up to code. Your last statement is almost certainly incorrect. I a major city such as Baltimore, I am sure that renovations are required to be inspected and made code legal. You are probably correct that the original plumbing and electrical in pre 1931 construction is not up to modern standards, but when changes are made, these must be brought up to date.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most places would "grandfather" any pre-existing plumbing, but any new installation is required to meet the current code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks