(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replumbing a Bath

Default Replumbing a Bath

I've been reading this forum for a while and have found some really helpful advice and a vast amount of knowledge. Drawing on that advice, I have sketched out a design for the plumbing in my bathroom which is going to be remodeled shortly. The toilet and tub will be staying in the same locations. I will be adding a double lav and therefore the location of the existing one will change slightly. I have also attached a photo of the existing lav/toilet/main/vent connection. Some background:

1) Total DFU's on house: 23
    2) Main line is 4" Cast Iron
    3) Existing vents through roof: 4" for main line/toilet (which I plan to replace with a 3"), 1.5" for shower and tub, 1.5 inch for kitchen.

Basically, I would like to know if the drawings I have attached will fly. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by bergs54; 05-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You are under UPC plumbing code.

The double lav needs to be a double fixture fitting, and you can use med 90's on the trap arms. Long sweep would work too there.
    You do have a long sweep below, and that's correct.

4" allows pretty much as many toilets as you like.

I don't understand how the lav vents are tying in. It should be above 42".

Good plumbing practice would also install a cleanout tee beneath the double fixture fitting.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thanks for the responses.

1) As far as the long 90's on the lavs. I'm slightly confused by the code -- I thought all horizontal changes of direction had to be "a one-sixteenth (1/16) bend, one-eighth (1/8) bend, or one-sixth (1/6) bend, or other approved fittings of equivalent sweep". Are the 90's on the lavs an exception or am I misreading the code?

2) For the lav vent connection -- sorry, my picture isn't clear. I plan on tieing the lav vent in the third picture into the 3" main vent in the fourth picture well above 42".

3) I thought I read somewhere on the forum that it was bad practice to dump the toilet directly into the main line as I have done. Is that true? And, if so, might there be a workaround you could suggest?

4) I was hoping to avoid a cleanout cover in the wall because the lavs are pedestal sinks, but I guess I could hide the cover with a freestanding storage unit of some sort.

Thanks again for assistance -- it is greatly appreciated.

So, based on further reading here, it looks like the toilet drain set up I had done above was incorrect because other fixtures drained in before the toilet vent. I have attached two different options which I believe fix that problem, and I was wondering if one would be preferred over the other. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images