Can't disconnect Supply line from Toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cindyono

Reaction score
We are homeowners attempting some DIY projects in our bathroom. We are replacing a leaky supply line on our toilet. Haven't gotten too far, because we can't get the old supply line disconnected. I attached pictures. I am not sure if I have the names correctly, but the Coupling Nut (the larger one below the locking nut) won't budge. Should that locking nut be tight again the tank, then loosen the coupling nut? We have tried using 2 wrenches, but the nut won't budge and we don't want to crack the tank.

2013 sink 002.jpg
2013 sink 001.jpg

2013 sink 002.jpg2013 sink 001.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The large nut snugs the copper riser to the end of the fill valve.
The thin nut secures the fill valve in the tank.

These nuts are upside down. So make sure you are loosening them, not making them tighter. Just undo the large nut and it will drop down.

Finbarr

Reaction score
I was about to give up and hire a plumber to remove my fill valve when I came across this post, Terry- that was exactly my issue: I was turning the nuts the wrong way. Thanks for posting this!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks