Epoxy floats

Users who are viewing this thread

SH140

Reaction score
A while back, I purchased an epoxy float made of green hard (rubber?). Since then I've read someone's post that a similiar float left little pieces of this material in the grout and had to be picked out. Is this common with this (green) material, or will this happen with all epoxy floats?

Also, do the grout applicator bags (look like a cake decorator) work OK, or is the float only method the way to go?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with my Epoxy float leaving chunks behind. Sounds like a rare experience.

Often I use my Epoxy regular float and my regular margin float - both with equally good results.

JW

SH140

Reaction score
I will probably be grouting this weekend and need a little advice. Grout is Laticrete Pro Premium epoxy. The only grout experience I have is with a small bathroom floor, never done walls, never done epoxy. Also, I work slower than the "average bear". The total coverage area is about 70 sq.ft. I thought I might mix 1/2 a mini-bucket and do an end wall, (start to finish). Repeat for second end wall. Then attempt the bigger back wall. Does this sound like a good plan for a newbie, or am I underestimating my ability? I'm concerned that working vertically (walls) will slow me down alot. Any input or advice?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Steve to many pointers to share in one sitting. You need to be careful how you mix part units. Do you have a digital food scale?

Make sure you have lots of water buckets. Mix up your cleaning packs and split the water washes for each wall.

I did a blog post on my blog site that has some info on preparing part batches of epoxy grout. You can read it here.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Your welcome.

Do not walk on your new epoxy floor and when you finish your final wash do not lean on the floor with a bare or even gloved hand. We always use a few micro fiber rags and make sure that it is always the rag that is touching the floor not our hand. Keep a little of the final wash water (untouched) in a glass jar in case you miss a slight spot with the cleaning.

You want the floors to have an even sheen. Epoxy residue dries a little shinny on the tile so any streaks or missed spots will show. If you missed a spot we have found using the final wash mix with some paper towel (we soak the paper towel) and then leave it over the area we can get it off with some elbow grease.

Laticrete has amazing tech support - call them today and ask for some pointers.

JW

SH140

Reaction score
his weekend I finally got to the grouting stage. I have about 75 sq. ft. of tile to grout (1/8" spacing) I bought 2 mini buckets of SpectraLock grout. According to Laticrete, each bucket should do about 40 sq. ft. Problem is, I only got roughly 65% grouted before I ran out. I know I dropped/wasted some, but not THAT much. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it common?

Also, the first batch (mixed as directed) was hard as heck to work with. It had a consistency of semi-dry oatmeal. Started to work a sweat spreading it on the walls. So for the 2nd batch I withheld about 5-10% of the color powder. This batch turned out better, easier to spread, also by this time I was getting better at the application process.

Any ideas about the problems I had with this stuff (other than operator error)? Manufacture date on package is only a couple months ago.

SH140

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, or how to answer it, but here goes. I used a 1/4 x 1/4 trowel with 1/8" grout lines. I can't really say much about if I got the area coverage stated on the package, because I didn't measure anything, just guess-timated it. But the thinset process seemed to go well. No real issues other than being a newbie at it.

My main concerns about the epoxy grout are:
Why I only got about 50% of the coverage the Laticrete coverage estimator stated I could expect.
And why the consistency was thicker than what I saw in the videos about the product.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not sure how to answer that. I have found the printed coverage pretty exact in the projects I have used it on. My projects have been larger format tile so perhaps there is a smaller room for error.

Email Arthur Mintie <amintie@laticrete.com> at Laticrete. He will be able to help you I'm sure. JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks