Shower leak, now pressure issues (Delta monitor)

Users who are viewing this thread

jlup

Reaction score
For the past month now, my shower head has been leaking. (I know it is not the actual shower head leaking, but the system itself).

So after reading forums and going to home depot, they all recommended replacing the springs and seatings on the cartridge. I turned off the water, unscrewed the handle, took off the metal casing, using a strap wrench to get the brass bonnett off, and took out the cartridge. I then took out the two little rubber seatings and the springs, and replaced them with the new ones I bought at Home Depot.

After putting it back together, I turned off the water, and voila, no leak. However when I turned the water on, it just starting flowing down, in one stream down from the shower head (like a sink faucet). AKA 0% water pressure

Anyone know why this is happening / have anything that could help!?

Thanks!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most likely reason is you did something to "screw up" the balancing spool. I NEVER "replace the springs and washers" in a Monitor valve. I take the cartridge out and replace IT.

jlup

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response hj,

I was worried I might have messed up the cartridge, too. I have another shower in my house with the same cartridge, so switched them for testing...and unfortunately got the same result. Actually, this time barely any water poured out at all..

any thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In that case check the shower head, and maybe a screen where it screws on to the shower arm. When a Monitor valve does not have any water, it is either because the balancer is defective, which changing the cartridge would have cured, or no hot and/or cold water to the valve, or a plugged shower head. Any one of these will give the symptoms you describe, and therefore, we cannot tell you which one applies to your situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks