Designing closets for maximized storage

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My little girls are growing up and the small closets they have are quickly getting to small. Is there any ideas here on maximizing the storage space in closets?

How many people are in the same boat?

I'd like to get more storage and finish the inside of the closets kind of like this

*Picture Source

I think I read somewhere and old Chinese proverb that said the more you subdivide a space the more room you get. Something like that.

Would love to see some examples!

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; old Chinese proverb that said the more you subdivide a space the more room you get.

If you subdivide it enough, you will have a closet full or wood shelves and dividers and VERY SMALL, (if any), OPENINGS to put stuff into. How big are the closets?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pull Down drawers for laundry - Is this a Chicago thing?

HJ the closets are all pretty small. About 28" deep x 48" wide x 96" tall. All three with a sloped ceiling from 96" down to 72".

I like the idea of putting the drawers into the closet so they have more space for their socks and tiny clothes.

I have never seen the pull down drawer before (fifth picture in Ideabook called Chicago Closet Design) - the Lady that designed these closets works out in Chicago and I'm wondering if anyone in Vancouver sells similar product.

We see similar stuff in Kitchen and Bath cabinets but they are smaller for dish gloves or toothbrushes.

If I put in the drawers into these little closets I'll need a fill strip so that the drawers clear the door jamb and doors. It might not be worth it. I guess I could use the side space as a small shelving or something like that.

I'll snap a few pictures and get them posted in a bit. It's been three years and my kids want their closets finished!!!

I wonder what the lock is for on that top drawer. Not sure my wife would like the kids to be able to lock something. I'm sure the girls would love this idea for their secret stuff!

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Maximum storage in a small closet

Thanks Doug.

I'll have to measure up the spaces and see what fits. I like the idea of having the pull down drawer for the kids closets. Maybe once installed we will be able to see what colour the carpet is in my eldest daughter's room!

I'm debating the use of a double rod system or a small storage unit with drawers.

Closet design is not one of our specialties but since the girls closets are so small I really want to max out the storage. JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've done double rods but this was more setup where a grown adult can reach the clothes on the top rod, and this is where more unused clothes were hung. The top rod was literally 3 AFF the top of the ceiling..

You don't won't to go too low on the the bottom rod, cause it will not be high enough to hang her dresses and such ....in due time.

I like cubed/drawers for organization purpose...but every shelf, every pull out, just takes up the real estate where a extra shirt/sweater might stack up.
Had this made awhile ago. Hope this helps...

s.png

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Adjustable Storage Shelves?

Love the drawers Chef! Is that just a cutout for a drawer pull?

Do those shelfs adjust? A few must be fixed I'm thinking for support. JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's all fixedshelving. Just a cutout on the pull, but I have done several variations of the *slab handlness look* as I just prefer thing handleless....

I've used some magnetic throw catches they use on *airplanes* for solid slab doors, so doors are complete invisible....

DougB

Reaction score
I like these shelf supports - they are wire, and fit into a groove routed into the side of the shelf. Use a 'fly cutter' router bit to cut grooves in the the side of the shelf (you can cover the groove - in the front of the shelf with iron on veneer tape). Then I made a jig to drill the holes in the side of the cabinets - at 1" increments. I clamped both sides together - and drilled through both at once - holes line up perfectly.

http://www.wwhardware.com/magic-wire-shelf-supports-syx520

http://woodworking.rockler.com/hardware/Knockdown-Hardware

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Best hardware for maximum closet storage.

I like these shelf supports - they are wire, and fit into a groove routed into the side of the shelf. Use a 'fly cutter' router bit to cut grooves in the the side of the shelf (you can cover the groove - in the front of the shelf with iron on veneer tape). Then I made a jig to drill the holes in the side of the cabinets - at 1" increments. I clamped both sides together - and drilled through both at once - holes line up perfectly.

http://www.wwhardware.com/magic-wire-shelf-supports-syx520

http://woodworking.rockler.com/hardware/Knockdown-Hardware

Thanks Doug. I love those Magic Wire supports. That is something else I have never seen. It's getting to the point where their is too many options - I better get my wife to review these images and just tell me what she wants.

@Chef - have you regretted not have adjustability in the design? It certainly would look more custom built without the extra drilling. JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's symmetrical in design...

The only time I would have something adjustable would be for a bookcase, media cabinet or cabinets with a door....Fashion versus function.
I generally choose fashion 1st and then incorporate the function...

CameronRobertson

The Storage Man
Reaction score
Website
supercheapselfstorage.com.au
What did the finished product come out like? Did you guys manage to settle on a cupboard design? Experience says to look at what type of material and clothing you have for your girls. Generally where I work, different materials need to be hung or folded depending on how you wanted to maintain them, so like what Chef says, do consider having a section where there's a hanging rail in there so that formals/dresses and any long items like scarves can be hung and draped over the railing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks