How to replace my old well pump with a new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would like to know how to replace my old well pump with a new one. I intend to tap into the existing waterline running from my well to the house and install a controlable valve to supply water to a 3/4 acre pond? I will install the biggest pump I can and increase the waterline to as big as I can to get some volume. I know I risk running my well dry, if that happens I will either have to back down the volume coming out of well or dig well deeper I suppose. Do you have any advice? I am very good with jobs like this but I never tackled a well pump before.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Need More Information

What kind of pump; submersible or shallow well jet or deep well jet?

You will want some kind of control on the well so you don't run out of water. There are things like the PumpTec that protect a submersible pump, but you don't want that to be your controller.

Your controller should put water to the pond only when there is plenty of water in the well. I would not replace the pump until I found out if I could pump it dry in the summer (when you need the water in the pond) with the existing pump.

If it is a submersible in a 4" casing you should be able to put in a pair of miniature float switches that can be set a few feet apart. Open the valve to dump water to the pond when the water floats the high switch. Run it until the water drops to the low switch, and don't start it again until it floats the high switch. I can send you a control circuit schematic and parts list if you need it. The switches can be assembled on a weighted rod and suspended from the top with the signal wire. You will need 3 conductors in the wire. The switches and control including a solenoid valve to dump the water should not cost more than about $100 plus wire down to the operating level.

Find out how deep the pump (or pump inlet) is, and how far to water. Then, pump find the pumping rate and the drawdown over 12 hours of so of pumping.

You may want to get a water meter so you know how much you are pumping. They are not that expensive. It will take 20,000 gallons to put 1" of water in your pond.

Since you are on the forum as a guest, I can't send you a private message. See if you can get the administrator to send me an Email with your Email address.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You might want to consider how much water this is going to require. Is the pond in the sun most of the time or in the shade? What type of soil do you have on the sides and bottom of this pond? Is the pond spring fed or just a rainwater catch basin?

All the above will have a major effect on how easily (or at all) you can fill this pond with a small well.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks