(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Drake II 1G Close Coupled Toilet - SanaGloss

Question Drake II 1G Close Coupled Toilet - SanaGloss

Remodeling two bath rooms (master bath-better toilet and a guest bath) and want a Toto and to save water. I want an elongated bowl and taller height. I have looked at the Drake II and the Aquia. Today I saw the "new" Drake II on ToTo's website. SanaGloss vs non-SanaGloss? I stayed in a hotel with a Aquia and it worked well, but have also seen reviews saying you must flush them twice. Confused here. Any thoughts? Thanks?

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ght=CST454CUFG

Last edited by Terry; 05-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.

There hasn't been a lot of talk on here to date about the "Drake II 1G", CST454CUFG. What I have generally heard and seen has been positive, but the first-adopters of this toilet are likely to be people who put water saving above all else. I have thought of buying one just to try it out, but so far haven't done so.

The Drake II, CST454CEFG (the "E" is for 1.28 gpf, the "U" in the other model is for 1.0 gpf) is one of the most-popular in the Toto line. It is a good value, with Sanagloss, the double-cyclone flush, and universal height, all standard. It gets consistently-high reviews.

The Original Drake, about $100 or so cheaper on the street price than the Drake II, and a different-looking toilet, is also a fine performer. The "Eco" version (1.28gpf), CST744E, is regular height and without Sanagloss (although it is an option).

Terry repeatedly has said that he has installed hundreds of Aquias over the years and that it has the lowest return rate of anything he installs, well better than 99% satisfaction. The people who choose that toilet like that toilet. And, unlike some of the Big Box or Costco dual-flush models, the flushing mechanism is robust and doesn't break easily.

Any of these would be a good selection. The key is to shop around your local plumbing supply places, getting specific quotes on the model and color you want. The price is going to vary a lot from place to place. Do your research, and you can get a good deal.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Thank you so much for your info.

AJ

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

SanaGloss is super smooth, sort of like after you wax your car. Things can still stick to it, but they come off easier. With that in mind, it tends to work pretty well. But, keep in mind that it will never be as clean as an old gully washer before they started to mandate lower water usage...some of those older ones used up to 8 gallons to flush! That will wash away a lot more than 1, or 1.2g will. Depends on your diet to a large extent, too, whether you may need a brush often.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Is this the only Drake II 1G thread....
    Cause I just came back from the showroom and came back to TL forums to get reviews on it. I love it's petitieness...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Starting June 1st, 2013, Seattle Public Utilities will be offering a $75.00 rebate to homeowners for a Premium Efficiency Watersense toilet. That's considered 1.06 GPF or less. The Drake IIG CST454CUFG makes that list.
    Property management installing four or more can get $200.00 rebates.

The standard CST454CEFG Watersense 1.28 gets $30.00 for homeowners and $100.00 for Property Mangers.

Get a $30 or $75 Rebate on Toilets in Seattle
    Customers can receive a $30 rebate when they purchase a new WaterSense-labeled high-efficiency toilet (HET). Beginning June 1, 2013, a $75 rebate will be available for the purchase of the new generation of WaterSense toilets called PremiumWaterSense. Premium toilets flush at 1.06 gallons per flush (gpf) and include American Standard, Niagara, Toto, Kohler and Pro-Flow models.

Eligibility Requirements:

• Customers must reside within the Saving Water Partnership service territory.
    • Only one WaterSense eligible toilet per household will be rebated. Check for eligible toilets by using the EPA's WaterSense product search before purchasing a toilet.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-15-2013 at 04:28 PM.

And here's a YouTube video of the Drake II 1G CST454CUFG flushing. The "media" is spoiled guacamole. It seems to flush and rinse pretty well. You can, however, see what a difference that 1 Quart reduction (20%) makes in the process. And they seem to have figured out how to make it do the job. The videographer mentioned that she had let the quacamole dry on the bowl before flushing, which she thinks explains why a little spot of it was left behind. It's also reassuring to see that following the break in the siphon, all of the green gook has evacuated; there's nothing but clean water in the bottom of the bowl.

Last edited by wjcandee; 05-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.