Does 10% resin require impact softening capacity and does it require a special screen

Users who are viewing this thread

estein9

Reaction score
I just purchased my first ever water softener (Watts with Clack WS1 with 1.5 cu. ft. of resin rated for 45,000 grains using the standard 8% resin). The dealer who sold me the Watts system was able to have Watts swap out the standard 8% resin and use 10% resin free of charge. Does the change in resin change the total grains the 1.5 cu. ft. can treat? If yes, is there a way to determine what the new total grain capacity is?

Does the change from 8% to 10% resin require a different type of riser screen be used within the resin tank?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
8 and 10 percent crosslink have similar capacities and use the same flow control as long as they are standard resin types.

The actual unit capacity is much less than claimed. It should be set up according to industry standards. 20,000 grains per cu. ft. if the system is regenerated with 6 pounds of salt per cu. ft. or 30,000 grains capacity when regenerated with 9 pounds total for your system.

The company who is installing it should take care of this part for you.

Clack valve based systems must be installed by the company selling it. I assume they are installing it, programming it etc. for you...

estein9

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply and helpful information. The independent dealer who sold me the Watts system is setting up the system, however, he is only inputting the basics such as setting time, inputting hardness info, regen time of day. etc. Watts told me they preset set all of their Clack valves to a capacity of 24,000 grains and 6 lb of salt per regen. I will ask the installer to change the settings to 30,000 grain capacity and 9 lb of salt per regen.

estein9

Reaction score
My sytem is 1.5 cu. ft of resin advertised as having a 45,000 grain capacity. I thought your guidance was to program for a capacity of 30,000 grains and 9 lbs per regen?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, 1.5 Cu. Ft. at 20K per cu. ft would be 30K capacity, the salt would be 6 pounds per cu. ft, or 9 pounds total.

It got a little lost in translation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks