Help identifying shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

seeker_moc

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix up the kid's bath in a house I recently bought. The shower/tub valve still works, but the trim is in bad condition and I'd like to replace it. I'd rather not have to rip up the wall to put in a new valve, but I can't find a trim kit that fits.

At first I though it was an old Moen standard valve, as it's rotate for temp and pull straight in/out for volume, and the screws at the bottom of the faceplate are at 7 and 5. However, Moen trim kits don't fit, the hole in the center for the valve stem is too small, and the holes in the faceplate are just a tad too close together.

I tried a kit for a Delta 600 series, and the faceplate actually fits perfectly, but the knob doesn't. I might keep this kit just for the faceplate, but I'd rather find the actual correct kit instead of just an 80% solution.

The valve stem assembly is entirely plastic, with a round gear where the knob attaches, and three screws that attach it to the valve. The house was built in '85, and I assume the valve is original to the house.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in identification.

Picture2.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
It is a Bradley Cole, or... Briggs, Sayco, Kohler, Federal, Powers-Gavin, or Vance (& perhaps others). Reuse the outer grey plastic piece.

seeker_moc

Reaction score
Thanks. So basically, it's just an old cheap generic valve? Do you know of any trim kits (preferably brushed-nickel) that would fit this?

Asktom

Reaction score
It isn't all that unusual for a manufacturer to build up a valve based on parts of another. I suspect you will find even chrome trim tough to come up with and I don't think all the versions use the same trim.

Last edited:

seeker_moc

Reaction score
It isn't all that unusual for a manufacturer to build up a valve based on parts of another. I suspect you will find even chrome trim to come up with and I don't think all the versions use the same trim.

Ok, thanks again for your help.

BWDuty605

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I'm hoping for some help. I have an identical shower valve to yours and my hot water stopped working. I managed to fix it using a Faucet Single Control Cartridge - Bradley Cole which was extremely difficult to find at a local retailer, I tried all the big chain home improvement stores and and even a few mom and pop operations in older areas of town since this is quite an old configuration. Anyway, my problem is the backsplash/trim piece was already in bad shape and fell apart. Even worse, both mounting screws fell into the wall! I can't seem to find a square piece like mine anywhere, even on the internet. I suppose I'll need an alternative, what did you end up using? I'm hoping for the cheapest fix possible, as I live in an apartment and just want this taken care of so I don't get charged for it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140727_224700.jpg
    20140727_224700.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 926
  • 20140727_224713.jpg
    20140727_224713.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 866
  • 8060_1.jpg
    8060_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 978

BWDuty605

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I'm hoping for some help. I have an identical shower valve to yours and my hot water stopped working. I managed to fix it using a Faucet Single Control Cartridge - Bradley Cole which was extremely difficult to find at a local retailer, I tried all the big chain home improvement stores and and even a few mom and pop operations in older areas of town since this is quite an old configuration. Anyway, my problem is the backsplash/trim piece was already in bad shape and fell apart. Even worse, both mounting screws fell into the wall! I can't seem to find a square piece like mine anywhere, even on the internet. I suppose I'll need an alternative, what did you end up using? I'm hoping for the cheapest fix possible, as I live in an apartment and just want this taken care of so I don't get charged for it.

Thanks!

I think I answered my own question, I was having such a hard time finding it because I was looking for "face plate" and "trim piece" but evidently they are called "escutcheons". The mounting holes are set at 1-11/16" apart and the hole for the valve is 1-3/4", so I bought a CHROME ESCUTCHEON for SINGLE LEVER DELTA SHOWER VALVE and Delta RP196 Screws (Set of 2) since my valve sits about 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" back in the wall. I think I will be set, will find out when they arrive! Got the whole fix for less than $20 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks