How to plumb basement sink drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

oldrover

Reaction score
I'm finishing a bathroom in my basement, roughed in by builder 6 years ago. Did I plumb for the sink correctly? Thanks! :)

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,482

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the horizontal drain slope down to the vertical connection?

oldrover

Reaction score
Yes. I sloped the pipe down to the vent. I was just concerned because I saw some pictures showing a loop configuration for a sink drain.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Not legal where I'm from- too many offsets in horizontal trap arm. Maximum allowed 90° between trap and vent.

oldrover

Reaction score
dubldare said:
Not legal where I'm from- too many offsets in horizontal trap arm. Maximum allowed 90° between trap and vent.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I came straight off the vertical pipe and have a 90 at the end. What should I have done?

Thanks.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
It appears that between the vertical stack (where the tee is) and where the sink goes, you are offsetting 180 degrees (on the horizontal).

The tee is where the vent for the sink is.

If you would have drilled the studs and aimed the tee toward the 90 for the sink, you would be fine.

Attachments

• sink.JPG
    sink.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

oldrover

Reaction score
Doh! :confused:
Thanks. Now I understand.
I did it that way because the wall was framed slightly out of square and I am ripping 2x4's to make that wall square. So, there isn't room to notch them. So, can I get by with this, or is there another way to do it?
Thanks. :)

oldrover

Reaction score
One more try;
Is there a way to plumb this with the pipes going behind the wall as I've done? What about a loop to the vent? Is that what I need?
What would happen if I just left it the way it is? Would it still work ok?

Thanks...

oldrover

Reaction score
I'm open to suggestions..
I can't go straight through the studs, because they will only be about 2 inches thick in that area.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about making the entire wall wider. You could sister on to the 2x4 studs with 2x6s or even 2x8s and that would give you the room you need. Walls that have drain pipes usually have 2x6 studs.

oldrover

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion!
I hadn't thought of using 2x6's. Sounds like a good idea!
Just to make sure I'm not screwing this all up, I have attached more photos to better represent my situation.
In order to make the tub fit correctly, and keeping the room square, I figured that I would need to rip some 2x4's to just barely enclose the vent pipe.
But, the toilet rough in will be 12 inches on center from the studs, so I have to get a 10" toilet, right?
I also have a standard tub at the end of the bath. That rough in seems to be ok. As you can see, I have already dug it out and attached the drainpipe to make sure it fits. (I am really paranoid about screwing this up!)

Attachments

• bathlayout1.jpg
    bathlayout1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 890
  • bathlayout2.jpg
    bathlayout2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 824

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you add the 1/2" drywall, the 11.5" you have left will still allow some 12" toilets to fit...so, all is not lost, you just have to be more selective. The selection of 10" rough-ins isn't as big.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks