help please, might have damaged my well

Users who are viewing this thread

curtismacaulay

Reaction score
I was filling my pool with a hose. It was on for about 45 minutes to an hour. I've had it on much longer last year and no problems. At the same time, my wife was drawing a bath for the kids and the water turned brown. It was very brown. We decided to not touch the water for the night, and this morning the brown cleared up some. It still has a brown tint to it but at least we can see through a glass now. I've been testing it every hour and it's been no change. What should I be doing at this point. Call a well expert or just wait for it to settle. I am assuming we tapped it close to dry and stirred up the sediment or possibly a small wall collapse. There is no problem with pressure or anything else just the colour. Please help guys. I'm worried this is going to be expensive.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We see this all the time when people open their pools in the spring. Probably what happened is when you drew the water level down, water from the structures that feed water into the well carried in some sediment or a bit of iron.

It may take a day or two for the water to clear up. Be patient.

curtismacaulay

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had the tap closest to the well running on very low cold for about 4 hours. The water quality improved almost 90% so far. It's been off for an hour now, and i just tried it and it is so much better now. Except I can still see sediment in it. I don't have a whole home filter on it. Would it be safe to drink now, or should I wait a few days and get it tested as well.

Would you guys recommend a whole home water filter.

Sorry about the lack of question marks but the key is not working

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sediment will eventually settle, but a whole house filter isn't a terrible idea.

I would have the water tested for bacteria on an annual basis.

Personally I would get bottled water for coffee, tea etc until after you get the results of the water analysis.

curtismacaulay

Reaction score
Thanks. We have a water cooler and are using it for everything right now. I have a friend who works in a hospital lab and is testing it for me on Monday. I will be getting a whole home filter regardless of the outcome as I sometimes fill my pool with this water and I'd like to get the iron out before it goes in the pool. Thanks for your replies, they have helped put my mind at ease.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks