(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Drake low bowl water

Hybrid View

Default Toto Drake low bowl water

I just installed a Toto Drake CST744S. It appears that their is a diamond shaped ridge where the water line should be inside the bowl. When I flush, the water fills this area about 1/4 inch deep. After flushing the water line settles about an inch in 30 seconds or so. It sits at this settled line. I've read here that this indicates water settling over the weir. Because of this, there are areas of the porcelain that are exposed causing soiling issues during use. I have to clean the toilet nearly every movement. I researched this toilet extensively before purchasing and this does not seem normal to me. Can I get feedback please. Should the water sit below that ridge exposing the horizontal portions of the porcelain?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1) Make sure the fill tube is directed into the overflow tube.

2) Put a level on the floor and see if it tilts up toward the end of the bowl.

3) Make sure you don't have anything wicking water, like dental floss.

I checked the fill tube etc.. Seems ok. It does fill, it just drains afterward. The floor is dead on level. There isn't anything wicking it. It has been doing this since the very first fill, before I ever used the toilet. I just installed it 3 days ago. Does the level seem low for a Drake or is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuparachute View Post
    I checked the fill tube etc.. Seems ok. It does fill, it just drains afterward. The floor is dead on level. There isn't anything wicking it. It has been doing this since the very first fill, before I ever used the toilet. I just installed it 3 days ago. Does the level seem low for a Drake or is that normal?
    You're saying that it fills above that level and then drains down to the level you have shown, correct?

The level you show is too low. In my versions of the same toilet, it drains down so that it just fills the area you expect it to fill.

If it is refilling properly but then draining down to that level, there are a couple of possibilities. Most likely, the toilet is not level. You say you measured the floor, but did you measure the toilet level?

Does it drip out right away, or over a longer time? If a longer time, it is possible that it is being siphoned by, say, another toilet. This is particularly likely if there is a toilet mounted back-to-back with this one. Proper venting could be an issue there.

It's also conceivable that the casting is defective. I would check out the other possibilities and then call Toto customer service to see if they have any other ideas. They will be happy to replace your toilet if it is defective, although they have a very low defect rate, so that would be unusual.

Yes, it fills about 1/4 inch above the groove, and then drains below it to the level in the picture. Maybe a 3/4 inch drop all together. That 3/4 inch is significant given the bowl design. Most of it drains in about a minute. It may continue a little over time but the majority drains in a minute. The bowl seems to be off about 1/8 inch back to front, higher in the front. That seems small compared to the amount the level drops. The floor is level and the toilet sits pretty flat on the floor all the way around.

There is a toilet on the other side of the wall, but it's back is to an adjacent wall, not the same wall. It is, however, just on the other side of the wall.

I have spoken to Toto customer service. I sent photos via email and they suggested I adjust the fill level. I had already explained that it is filling, just draining after. I explained it again in further detail. I have not heard back from them in 3 days. I'm not impressed.

Is it even possible that the weir (sp?) is somehow too low and so it's losing water after the fill? I'm stumped on this one.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have two toilets on the same sancross of fixture cross, flushing the opposing bowl will lower the water level.
    All of the newer bowls that use a 3" flush valve will do that.

The speed of the flush will push air and water over and force some water out of the bowl.
    A standard 2" flush valve bowl works too slowly to do that. What is in the other bathroom? And has that even been an issue. In other words, iosolating the problem, is it just this one, with nothing else being used?