packing for plastic faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if I can use graphite packing string on a plastic hot water cutoff valve
(the original packing (seemingly a plastic washer) has disintegrated).

If not, would you have other suggestions? (the valve will be a big job to replace and I don't have the time at the moment).

Thank you!

Asktom

Reaction score
Graphite packing would probably work if there is some sort of metal or plastic ring to keep it from getting into the threads on the stem.

Asktom

Reaction score
I was thinking brass valve with a plastic stem. I have never seen an all plastic angle stop, but maybe I just haven't lived. A picture would help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The push on Accor valves are basically all plastic, but I visualize that this person is asking about a "T handle" PVC or CPVC ball valve, or a plastic gate valve.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Here are pictures of a similar valve as I had found some packing (also in the picture) and put the original valve back into service.
The packing has stopped the water leak however a bit of clear, slightly viscous slime material has oozed past the packing nut. I can
only imagine it came from the packing material (the plumbing supply store didn't have packing material and suggested I go to a local Rubber and Gasket Supply store where the clerk cut a piece off a roll for me-- I didn't see the roll where the piece was cut from -- the clerk said it was graphite or Teflon packing).

I am curious if this ooze is normal -- it was only a few drops which I wiped off the packing nut. The valve is a cutoff for the bathtub hot water supply and had been in place about 20 years before it started leaking.

Thanks! CIMG0985.jpgCIMG0984.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That valve does NOT use a "string packing", and it is NOT a "packing nut". It is a stem removal or assembly union. If you removed the stem you should find an "O" ring in a recess around the stem.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
That valve does NOT use a "string packing", and it is NOT a "packing nut". It is a stem removal or assembly union. If you removed the stem you should find an "O" ring in a recess around the stem.

Hi HJ,

yes you are right, the original "packing", seemingly a plastic washer or 'O" ring, had disintegrated after 20 years and I could not find an exact replacement -- that's why I wondered about using string packing. Though the string packing does seem to be working, except perhaps for the slightly viscous slime material that oozed past the stem removal nut (discussed in previous post with the pictures), I gather from your reply that this may not be a good long-term solution?

Thanks for your replies and expertise HJ!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In order for the string packing to work, it would need a washer between it and the valve body to compress the string. But there is no 'groove' in the valve body to recess that washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks