Pipe leaking behind shower..help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Muse83

Reaction score
Last night I discovered 2 small leaks in 2 spots behind our shower. I'm definitely don't possess any strong plumbing skills and just wanted your opinion on if this is an extremely easy fix that anyone could do or should I stick with calling someone out? Thanks

photo (1).jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A quick fix would be to just put together a new riser for the shower head, which would require sweating (soldering) copper.

In the bigger picture, if you were looking for an upgrade, this would be a good time to have a new single handle anti-scald shower valve installed in place of that old valve.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Muse83

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! It's a tub/shower combo so I don't think I could have the single valve could I? I'm lost with anything to do with plumbing so be patient with me haha. By riser you're referring to the copper pipe that goes up to the actual shower head right? Would it be as easy as just unscrewing the long copper pipe and replacing it with a new one?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fittings on the ends of the riser pipe are soldered on by the installer. Judging by your questions, it would be in your best interest to bring in a plumber to repair it for you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be a shame to bring in a plumber, and not replace the valve at the same time.
Yes, a single handle valve works with tubs. The tub spout uses a diverter for the shower.

attachment.php

Asktom

Reaction score
It looks like a male adapter on the bottom, so that should unscrew, but the top where the shower arm threads in should be fastened in some way. You may have a complication at that end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks