hello from the motor city with a question (2nd floor bathroom leak)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rk Ed

Reaction score
house built 1946
i have troubles-

i havent used the upstairs bathroom(toilet, tub, sink in about 5 years) but have kept water in the traps by filling once per month.

i replaced the toilet but while doing so i happened to run water in the tub which proceeded to run all the way to the basement bathroom following the drain line all the way.

i let this dry while replacing the toilet and flushed the toilet with with the same results of water in the basement following along the drain line. enuff to puddle the floor

i cant imagine the vertical drain pipe(stack) pipe corroding thru and i cant find diagrams to suggest the routing of the bathroom plumbing.

i ask of any suggestions as to what might be leaking, the toilet and sink are next to each other with the tub drain running about 6ft diagonally across the floor
sink--------------------------toilet

tub

i cant picture how they all tie in at the main drain and if it leaks with water coming from a tub run and toilet flush what part could be leaking

note no leaks come from the main floor

any suggestions would be appreciated. i know the walls or floor will have to be opened but what actual part of the plumbing could have sprung? how do all 3 tie in to the main?

thanks a heap.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could have been done many ways

dwv_b2.jpg

It may be that the tub trap or waste and overflow are leaking. That's where I would look first.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
From the age of the home you may have some lead drain lines serving the tub and toilet that need replacing.
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks