(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need shower/tub supplier recommendation

Default Need shower/tub supplier recommendation

Would like to hear from people on what manufacturer they have used for the tub part of a combination shower/tub. This is a 32" x 60" typical alcove-type of installation, with apron. Nothing fancy at all. What I have come up with is Kohler on the expensive side, and Home Depot in-stock product on the cheap side. Was hoping to find a "name brand" less expensive than Kohler. I don't feel confident buying off the shelf from HD, with something I'll have to live with for a long time.

Thanks.

Default You get what you pay for

Kohler is the best.. with a very nice long lasting porclain finish..
    Fiberglass is cheaper, but they don't look good afetr a few years for many reasons.. i.e. usage of abrasive cleaners, hard water.. etc..

You did not mention what material you are considering.

Choices are cast iron, porcelain on pressed steel, fibreglas with acrylic finish, and the Americast/Bootzcast type:resin molded with porcelain enamel finish.

All the "regular" brands produce good quality: Kohler, American Standard, Eljer, Bootz. You pay more for unusual sizes, shapes, or styles.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think iron is probably the highest quality/longest lasting option. Is this right? How do the other options compare? Is enameled steel to be avoided? I can understand the risk with acrylic tubs relative to abrasive cleaners. Not familiar with the Americast. Where does the price fall relative to iron/steel/acrylic?

Thanks again. It's probably obvious from my questions that I have never purchased a tub before. I appreciate your help.