New to well ownership - have a few questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

tjl5709

Reaction score
Purchased a home with well. Home/well is about 12 years old. Well tested good during inspection. Treatment is setup as follows: 20" prefilter (20 micron) followed by Kinetco softener. Also have a reverse osmosis unit for drinking water at sink. Water is clear at all faucets. I get a little sulfur smell in shower once in awhile. I have no staining that I can see in any of the bathrooms. I had the reverse osmosis unit serviced about 6 months ago, and we tested the softener as well and everything was fine.

My question is in regards to the prefilter. The water before treatment is kinda turbid, and pressure drops because the filter loads. I went 6 months before changing which was to long (lots of silt/rust on filter, big drop in pressure). Just changed it at 3 months (I started to notice the pressure drop, silt loading was obviously not as bad) , and I think I need to change out at 2 months. The sediment on the filter appears to be iron and silt.

I am not sure what is considered normal in regards to changing out filters. Just looking to see how best to protect the softener bed.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make a pleated washable filter that will save in replacement costs. I would clean the filter monthly and replace every 6 months. Having a restriction on water flow can prevent the resin from being properly backwashed and possible cause problems down the road.

tjl5709

Reaction score
They make a pleated washable filter that will save in replacement costs. I would clean the filter monthly and replace every 6 months. Having a restriction on water flow can prevent the resin from being properly backwashed and possible cause problems down the road.

Thanks for the reply. Searched it out and found them. The prefilter I have is only 20" x 2.5" and is a spun filter. I like the idea of going to a pleated 20" by 4.5". Looks like another project for the list...........

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Searched it out and found them. The prefilter I have is only 20" x 2.5" and is a spun filter. I like the idea of going to a pleated 20" by 4.5". Looks like another project for the list...........

They make a 20" pleated or you can use a connector to join 2 10" filters. With a 4.5", it will allow longer spans between cleaning.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Looks like another project for the list...........

If you want a real project, consider a backwashed sediment filter. Pricier up front, but you don't have to fuss with the filter every 2 months, and you filter down to 5 micron. Here are a couple of vendors: http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/sediment-filters-backwashing.html, http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=484. Look around this forum for several interesting threads about backwashed sediment filters.

In the shower, is your sulfur smell in the hot water only, or in both hot and cold?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I prefer automated backwashing filters using Nextsand, filterag +, turbidex, micro-Z, etc. All of these are nearly identical medias. All will filter down to 5 micron and require almost no maintenance.

Otherwise, buy the sediment filters in bulk and replace as needed. My time is too valuable to clean a pleated filter. If you are retired and bored, then they are fine but...

Another option might be to try a Lakos TwistII clean filter ahead of everything, These little filters do wonders! http://www.twistiiclean.com/installation-operation.html

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's a 2" Universal Flange filter -- how does "universal flange" connect to and compare with 2" PVC pipe?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A simple flange adapter would be fine. See this link, McMaster is one of the best website a DIY'r will ever find!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-pipe-flanges/=oe4lwo

4881k216p1-c01ds.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks