PEX for shower plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

tlt3900

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read in a couple of places that PEX was not recommended for the drop from a shower valve to the tub spout and should not be used from the valve to the shower head. I'm not sure i understand why.

I am hoping to use PEX in my shower from the pressure balance valve to the diverter and then from the diverter to each the rain shower head, hand wand, and the body spray pressure balancing loop.

Are there any opinions one way or the other on this? Thanks for the advice and help

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The inside diameter of PEX is smaller than the equivalent copper pipe size. Running PEX to a tub spout can cause a restriction which forces water out of the shower head regardless of the position of the diverter.

It is good practice in many situations to install PEX in the next larger pipe size than one would normally install when using copper.

tlt3900

Reaction score
Thank you cacher_chick, i understand now about the tub spout. I was planning on using 3/4 inch PEX with a 3/4 inch PEX to 1/2 inch NPT connection to the valve. Thanks again for the help. I see from your avatar that you are from Wisconsin. I live now in Houston but grew up in Rockford Illinois and lived in Menasha for awhile.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

pex-to-copper-fitting.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks