Use a pressure balancing valve and ball valves for shower controls

Users who are viewing this thread

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
I am building my own house and finishing up my rough-in. For my stand-up shower (no tub), instead of buying a brand-name shower kit (Moen, American Standard, etc) I want to install a pressure balancing valve, stub out with ball valves that turn hot and cold on/off, and use a T to go up to the shower head. The finish look will be very simple and industrial-looking. Can someone describe how to plumb this? Or is there a schematic/diagram somewhere that would explain it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pressure balancing valve has to "sense" the incoming pressure so it goes first. Ball, or gate, valves would be very "imprescise" for a volume control, "globe" valves would be better. I am not sure how "simple" it would look, but it would definitely be "industrial", or rather "factory rest room".

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
Yes, a globe valve is what I was thinking - not a ball valve. So I would run the hot and cold supply through the pressure balancer, then a globe valve on each, then a tee connecting them and up to the shower-head?

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
Thank you, hj! Now here's another question: I have another shower I want to do dual shower heads on - I roughed in 2 1/2" pex for hot and 2 1/2" pex for cold to the general area. I would like 1 set of globe valve controls for hot/cold and a ball valve to turn the second shower head on/off. How would I plumb this using the same pressure balancing valve scenario above?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume you mean two 1/2" hot and cold lines, rather than a 2 1/2" hot and cold line, but why I cannot fathom why you would need two. A "three way ball valve" would keep your industrial look and change from one head to the other, (half way would operate both of them).

ceiiinosssttuu

Reaction score
The 3-way ball valve makes sense. I ran two of each because I thought one each of 1/2" would not be enough flow for a dual-head shower. Is there a pressure balancing valve that would take four 1/2" pex lines (2 hot, 2 cold), or do I need to tee them together and make two 3/4 lines first? Or use 2 pressure balancing valves and then join the hots/colds after they leave the valve? Thank you for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you stay with Federally approved showerheads, they can't provide more than 2.5gpm each. So, it then comes down to the valves ahead of it. 1/2" pex likely wouldn't provide full flow for two, but certainly would for one. I doubt you'd find a PB valve that had multiple outputs...but, adding a T should work if the supply is big enough. As to the valves, you'd have to read their specifications carefully to determine their maximum flow rates. 1/2" pex should be able to provide 4-5gpm, copper about 20% more. 1/2" pex has the approximate ID of 3/8" copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks