Two Sump Pumps Sharing a Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

lagman

Reaction score
All,

Last year, I installed a second sump pump above my primary pump using the design in the picture below. I used two brand new independent check valves. Everything worked great last year, but now that my pump has started running again this year, I'm hearing water drip out of the bottom of the backup pump. So for some reason the second check valve isn't doing its job. Am I just forced to concede that in this type of setup the second check valve isn't always going to be completely water tight? Any advice you can give me on the design pictured below would be great.

2 Sump Pump Design.jpg

Thanks!
Dan

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Much of the problem is likely due to the quality of the valve. If the rubber deteriorated or a tiny bit of debris has gotten on the flapper or it's sealing surface preventing it from closing properly, it is going to leak. I have had good luck with A.Y. McDonald check valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks