(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toto Soiree or Guinevere review, installing, comments and pictures

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Was the wax ring new, but sitting around in a box, or already used? If it was used, it was already smushed down to seal the old toilet, and it's unlikely the new one is sealed properly. Any plumber worth his salt would never reuse an already used wax ring.

If plastic in itself was going to create a clog, 10's of millions of houses would have a problem, as that's what most of the drain pipes are made of. By using the UniFit adapter, Toto can make the bends exactly like they want and have them come out nice and smooth. You cannot do that in porcelain. So, the plumber was blowing smoke...

The instructions that come with the Toto tell you what you should use. Did the plumber leave you them? Have you looked at them?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

He's a plumber he said since 1988, and he said that he gives a 5 to 10 yr warranty that it wont leak,
    he said if it does, just call him and he'll come back and redo.
    No the rings were used about 1 & 1/2 yr old, he just reused the old wax ring, from the old toilet, he said it
    was in a good condition. Should I make him come back and redo it?

And in regards to sanagloss, is it ok to use lysol, fantastik, clorox wand?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Was the wax ring new, but sitting around in a box, or already used? If it was used, it was already smushed down to seal the old toilet, and it's unlikely the new one is sealed properly. Any plumber worth his salt would never reuse an already used wax ring.

If plastic in itself was going to create a clog, 10's of millions of houses would have a problem, as that's what most of the drain pipes are made of. By using the UniFit adapter, Toto can make the bends exactly like they want and have them come out nice and smooth. You cannot do that in porcelain. So, the plumber was blowing smoke...

The instructions that come with the Toto tell you what you should use. Did the plumber leave you them? Have you looked at them?

You should have gotten a copy of this with the toilet... http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Bro...s/0GU016-2.pdf If you have further questions, I suggest you call Toto.

The only way I can see the (slight) possibility of reusing a wax ring when a toilet was removed is if it wasn't compressed, and thus wasn't making a good seal in the first place. And, if that was the case, the flange is likely not installed properly (i.e., on top of the finished floor and anchored through it into the subflooring).
    Last edited by jadnashua; 08-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He's been plumbing that long and doesn't use new parts?
    And he's confused about the new products?

Have him call me. I would love to talk to him. It's not every day you get to meet a novice like that.

It's been installed for about a week, everything seems fine, there is no water coming out at base of toilet,
    so do you think I should still replace the wax or trust the plumber??, he guaranteed nothing will happen in
    the next 10 years or he'll come back and fix. Or will you only see problems when the toilet clogs?
    Is the plumber that lazy that he reused the old wax because he didnot want to clean the old one and put
    in a new one?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would guess that it's fine, it's just so funny that your plumber is so cheap.
    Did he also reuse the water supply line? Of course he did.
    We always use new bolts and nuts, new wax and new supply lines. Duh!

Default supply lines

Yes he did reuse the supply lines, it looks pretty new, only 1 and 1/2 yrs old.
    So do you think there would be no problems with it b/c there has not been
    after more than a week of use??? Will the problem only come up if the toilet is clogged???
    Should I make him come back and put in new wax?
    Sorry to sound like a novice, I didn't know any better but to trust the plumber
    whose considerably older and supposedly a master plumber,
    because I never changed a toilet and I'm young and naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I would guess that it's fine, it's just so funny that your plumber is so cheap.
    Did he also reuse the water supply line? Of course he did.
    We always use new bolts and nuts, new wax and new supply lines. Duh!

If the toilet does not rock and when he installed the parts on the flange he had to compress it to smush the wax, then it probably did make a good seal. Hassle is, generally, that wax has already been smushed to conform to the old toilet, and it isn't a spring! If the new one has less room, there may be enough left to smush some more and make a seal.

Because the outlet of the toilet is sort of a funnel, unless there's a gap AND the line gets backed up, you won't get water/waste leaks. But, if there's a gap, you will get sewer gas leaks and maybe ants, sewer flies, etc. sneaking out of there and under the toilet. If it doesn't smell, rock, or leak...it's probably okay.
    Jim DeBruycker

I've had the Soiree for about 14 months, having read the reviews on this site, and it is an amazingly good performer. Recently, though, we've had a problem with the flapper. After being away from the house for a month the flapper didn't make a seal. The end furthest from its connection to the white pipe kind of ducks into the hole and the toilet runs on and on. You have to put your hand in to lift it to get it to seal. Funny thing is that after a few flushes, it began to operate normally. But then we went away for a weekend and the problem, and solution, repeated. Strange. I called Toto and they're sending me a new flapper. But is that likely to happen again next year?

It depends entirely on the quality and composition of your water...in my house, the flapper lasts about 4-5 years...I've heard some where it lasts 10, and others only a year or two. Also, do NOT put any of the toilet cleaner devices/tablets into the tank as that will kill the flapper very quickly. If the dome starts to get sucked down into the valve seat and the rim is no longer staying flat, it's time to think about replacing it before it leaks.
    Jim DeBruycker

Thanks for the response. We have NYC water which is really very good, good enough to filter and sell as bottled water which is actually done. I use no cleaner of any sort. The toilet doesn't need any. I have had a Toto Carrollton upstairs for about 7 years without a problem. Perhaps just a bad flapper this time. The Soiree does get more use than any other toilet in the house. But funny how it "fixes" itself.

You can buy a new flapper for just a few dollars and it takes only a couple of minutes to change it. If that is not the problem, you will have invested very little and will have at least verified that the flapper is not the problem. My guess: It's the flapper. Either the water quality or perhaps just a early demise of the flapper.

Well, what do you know. They have actually changed the design of the flapper. Toto sent me a replacement. It now has three little ridges on the top at the far end, evidently to stiffen that part of the flapper that was dragged into the valve seat. Hope to get more than a year out of this one.

The flapper that came out was noticeably curled up at that end. A design defect? Too much water in the tank? The water comes to within 1/2 inch of the top of the white tube. Is that where it is supposed to be?
    Last edited by lennym; 08-24-2011 at 05:57 AM.

FWIW, Toto does not make the fill valves or the flappers that they supply with their toilets although they are made to their specs for them. While they have several suppliers, the majority are made for them by Korky. In the scheme of things, one hopes things get incremental or evolutionary improvements - that may be one of them. Only time will tell.
    Jim DeBruycker

I don't think it matters how high the water is in the tank, only the set amount will be released on the first flush. If you opt for a the "big gulp", the tank will empty so that could be more than the standard flush. On a positive side of that, if the tank has a bit more water, then the possibility of condensation is reduced as the water remaining in the tank will temper the cold incoming a little more than typical. Your post has reminded me to pick up a couple of extra flappers to have on hand, so thank you for that!