(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toto Soiree or Guinevere review, installing, comments and pictures

Terry:

You've commented on the Soiree and the Guinevere. I'm thinking about installing the Toto Ultrmax II, w/SaniGloss model MS 604164 CEFG. What is your opinion of it? I called Toto and was told the Guinevere is the new name of the Ultramax II but toilets under each of these names are still being sold.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The MS604114CEFG used to be called the Gwyneth
    Now the Ultramax II,
    Somewhat modern looking and non-skirted.

The Guinevere and the Soiree are skirted bowl toilets with a traditional look.

All of these have been working very well.

Blog Entries

A nice bathroom with a TOTO Soiree.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

The handle for the Guinevere
    Pretty nice.
    Terry, I have 5 Guinevere toilets in my new home. I had a problem where the flapper would not close because the handle, which is normally in the "six O'clock" position would stick in the "3 O'clock" position. This only seemed to happen with the toilets in my 6-year old twins bathrooms. It seems that when they went to flush the toilets they would pull the flush handle not too hard or too soft but just enough to get cause the copper rod to "wedge" against the nut holding the handle to the tank. It took me many tries before I was able to replicate the problem, because it was intermittent, but when I did, I called Toto and they sent me out new handles for all the toilets. Since the new handles were installed, the problem has gone away. Toto says that they never heard of this problem. Have you?

Also, one of the Guinevere toilets would periodically emit a "shrieking" noise when not being used. I fiddled with the float adjustment screw on the fill valve and it stopped the noise but it continues to do this randomly. When I started to research this problem I discovered that of the 5 toilets in the house, this is the only one that is a 1.28GPF model (Green Flush Valve w/white screw) while the others are 1.6GPF (Blue Flush Valve w/no screw). My question is, is there any difference between the 1.28 and 1.6 models besides the flush valves. Can I replace the Green valve with the blue?
    Thanks - Great forum

Blog Entries

The china is the same.
    They change the fill valve to shut off a bit sooner.
    And on some they weight down the flapper to drop quicker.

But, if you overfill the bowl a bit, the extra water finds it's way down the drain.
    If the fill valve is making noise while idle, then you may have a leaking flapper.
    Fix the flapper, and the noise will go away.
    Those fill valves tend to give a little squeak when they shutoff.
    Check the flapper for leaks.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The only other thing I can think of is if your water pressure is too high, the weakest point in the system will leak...it could be that flush valve can't handle that high pressure. Have you ever checked yours? You can buy a gauge at one of the big box or plumbing supply houses for about $10 with a max tattle-tale hand. Attach it and leave it on overnight and check the pressure periodically and then the max. If it exceeds 80psi anytime, you need a PRV and an expansion tank, or if you have them, one or the other is bad.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is if your water pressure is too high, the weakest point in the system will leak...it could be that flush valve can't handle that high pressure. Have you ever checked yours? You can buy a gauge at one of the big box or plumbing supply houses for about $10 with a max tattle-tale hand. Attach it and leave it on overnight and check the pressure periodically and then the max. If it exceeds 80psi anytime, you need a PRV and an expansion tank, or if you have them, one or the other is bad.
    My house water pressure is 70 psi so it is well under the 80 psi threshold.
    Thanks anyway for the suggestion. I may just go ahead and change the flapper. I think Terry said to go with one of the Korky flappers after I receive the replacement flush valve from Toto.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The china is the same.
    They change the fill valve to shut off a bit sooner.
    And on some they weight down the flapper to drop quicker.

But, if you overfill the bowl a bit, the extra water finds it's way down the drain.
    If the fill valve is making noise while idle, then you may have a leaking flapper.
    Fix the flapper, and the noise will go away.
    Those fill valves tend to give a little squeak when they shutoff.
    Check the flapper for leaks.
    Terry, first, thanks very much for the suggestion to use the "blue" Korky flapper. This made a BIG difference in the flush volume and force. The water height in the tank was 6 3/4" which when flushed with the original "orange" Toto flapper would drop to about 3 1/2" in the tank before the flapper would fall and the tank would refill. After switching to the "blue" Korky flapper, the water height in the tank which was still 6 3/4" would then fall to about 2", meaning that an additional 1.5" of water would be used in the flush (whatever that equals in volume). An additional item that I wanted to mention is that the other difference between the 1.6 GPF and 1.28 GPF Toto Guinevere toilets is that the flush valve stand pipe/bowl filler pipe is about 1" taller in the 1.6 GPF toilet. Will I have any issues substituting the "blue" fill valve for the original green fill valve? I never really had an issue with the 1.28 GPF toilet and the blue flapper has made it that much better. I was prepared to put a 1.5" pvc coupling on the fill valve pipe which would provide about the same flush valve height as the 1.6 GPF toilet but it now works so well that I don't think this will be necessary.
    Thanks again.

DIY Junior Member friendlycanuck's Avatar

Hello we are about to purchase a new toilet and have looked at the Soiree and Guinevere. My questions are:
    1. Is this the right choice when water supply is in the floor?
    2. Being that there is no Toto dealer in my area, would it be wise to purchase a Toto product? I worry about part supplies when problems arise.

Thanks
    Robin

Blog Entries

Parts are simple for a Toto.
    Most local hardware stores carry parts for them.
    I notice that Korky and Fluidmaster carry replacement 3" flappers, and you can use a variety of fill valves.
    You can also order factory replacements.

If your water supply is floor mounted, you would need to measure how far from center it is.
    The Soiree and Guinevere have wide foot prints that go pretty close to the wall.

Thanks Terry for the reply

We have not run the supply line yet for the toilet as it is a new retrofit. Perhaps this is good...yes, no??

Also, does this toilet have a high water line. Nothing is worse that having to flush twice to clean the bowl above the water line. If not could you recommend a toilet that will flush down messes on bowl.

I have child who tends to use alot of toilet paper, we have pulled our hair out trying to teach her differently, we even have a trash bin next to the toilet for her to use for toilet paper but of course this doesn't always work and we need to unclog the toilet.

Thanks for your help
    Robin

Blog Entries

I've sold about 150 of these.
    There is less water in the bowl since 1992 in the US.
    So unless you find an old 80's bowl, or since you are in Canada, just an old bowl, there is going to be less water.
    They do clean pretty well though, at least they keep telling me that.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Where are you in Northwestern Ontario we have dealers all over?

Hello Peanut9199

I am in the Fort Frances area. I really like the look of Soiree Toto toilet but I am not sure if I like the 1.28 gpf. Is it available in the 1.6 gpf in Canada?

Thanks
    Robin

Blog Entries

The 1.28 has been working fine. I have one with double cyclone right now.
    If you reallly feel you need more rinse, just hold the handle a moment longer.

Last edited by Terry; 02-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.