Vanity Plumbing Options

Users who are viewing this thread

JD3263

Reaction score
So, I have all my parts and I began putting everything together. I needed to replace the existing hot water shut off valve, so I picked up one of those quarter-turn valves. After I tightened it, the valve had a very very slight leak out of the back of the nut...it was just enough that you could see a tiny bit of water on your finger if you ran it across the back of the nut, underneath the pipe.

I continued to tighten it more, but it still seemed to have that slight leak. I let it go over night and checked it again when I got home today. There doesn't appear to be a leak now; it's completely dry if I run my finger over it. Should I be worried? Or could it have just been the water escaping that was stuck behind the ferule when I installed it?

JD3263

Reaction score
Well, here's the final result...
Also, I took off the compression shutoff valve and put on a shark bite valve. It took 10 seconds to put on and it doesn't leak.

IMG00839-20130507-1958.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

JD3263

Reaction score
Well, I'm finished with the vanity; everything seems to be working properly with no leaks. Time will tell...

Thanks for all your help!

Vanity 2.jpg Vanity 1.jpg Vanity 3.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You used all the wrong fittings.
You used water supply fittings, not waste fittings. You now have an impossible setup to snake when it's needed.
The fitting below the ilegal cross fitting is a water pressure 90, not a long turn 90 bend.
The 90's that turn out are the same, those should have been medium 90 bends.
The cross should have been a double fixture fitting.
The pipe below the double fixture fitting should have been 2"

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

Last edited:

JD3263

Reaction score
You used all the wrong fittings.
You used water supply fittings, not waste fittings. You now have an impossible setup to snake when it's needed.
The fitting below the ilegal cross fitting is a water pressure 90, not a long turn 90 bend.
The 90's that turn out are the same, those should have been medium 90 bends.
The cross should have been a double fixture fitting.

Well, I can't change it now...or at least I won't be changing it unless I run into a problem later. I designed it so I can slide the vanity boxes out if I need to.

Those are the 90's the guy gave me at Home Depot. I showed him the exact same image I posted here and he helped me pick out the pieces. He said he is a plumber outside of HD and has been doing it for the past 30 years...I guess I got suckered. :eek:

HD and Lowes didn't have any double fixture fittings, just those...

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to research the different types of fittings/90's you mentioned so that my next plumbing project will be correct.

JD3263

Reaction score
Should of hired a plumber

:rolleyes:

I like to try and do things myself; it's more rewarding to see the final result. Albeit, it's usually better when it's done right.
I've never done any plumbing before, or tile, or electrical, or anything to do with most of the other projects I'm working on, so it's all a big learning process.

Thanks to you guys, I now know some more specific questions to ask if I do any more plumbing.

JD3263

Reaction score

I forgot to ask...

Are you referring to the small section of pipe below and between the cross fitting and the 90? Or are you referring to the horizontal pipe that's running to the 90 before going into the wall?
I thought it was illegal to reduce the size as it goes downstream? I'm pretty sure the pipe that comes out of the wall is 1.5", so in that case I would need to keep it 1.5", right? Otherwise I would be reducing from 2" to 1.5".

Thanks.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Well, Those are the 90's the guy gave me at Home Depot. I showed him the exact same image I posted here and he helped me pick out the pieces. He said he is a plumber outside of HD and has been doing it for the past 30 years.

Go back to HD and ask the 30 year plumber what the difference is in these fittings. As you can see you used the Sched 40 pressure elbows instead of the DWV elbows. Although what you have will hold together along with using the cross fitting no snake will be able to clean the line. Worry about that in the future I guess.

Just dont look behind the wall and enjoy your new sinks.

Attachments

• mueller.JPG
    mueller.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 452
  • dwv fittings.JPG
    dwv fittings.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 466

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The below photo show a double fixture cross.

Problem with a double santee in that application is:
1. If you snake a double santee, the snake goes right across and toward the other p-trap
2. A double santee creates "crossover" of waste

The below photo was on Terry's site in Dec 2012

Attachments

• double_lav_rough_1.jpg
    double_lav_rough_1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 659
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks