Walls not plumb...

Users who are viewing this thread

Msisell

Reaction score
We have a concern, we just finished putting the backer board up in our shower and found where the wall meets it is not square. It looks good at bottom corner but as it goes up the back wall must be set back some. The gap in the corner starts from nothing to about an inch at ceiling. Should we take the cement board off and build it out somehow? I was told to just fill it in with the thinset but that won't square the tiles as i set them outwards from the corner. Maybe it will all work out just want to make sure before I move forward. Thanks for your time!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Often the walls can be a little off.
If you have put a level on it, and it's an inch off from bottom to top, that's a lot.

When installing tile, you start from the middle and make your cuts in the corners. That way, most of what you see will be vertical, and the only tiles that are a bit off are in the corners. Your eye is less judgemental there.

Msisell

Reaction score
Great thanks! Next question... Do I need to apply silicone or something where the cement board meets the homemade shower pan?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
An inch from top to bottom is a lot, and will make tiling a real pain. I would pull it down and work on straightening it out. Cutting some long tapered shims would be worth the effort you save in trying to make the tile look right later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks