(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sewer gas

Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar

Default Sewer gas

As I understand it, sewer gas may contain methane gas. I remember back when I was replacing my toilet flange I ran across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIa1sTMenXc. Watch it and tell what you think about its procedure?
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I don't use a torch to remove poured lead, because it is unnecessary, but how else would you sweat copper drain pipes?

There has been a couple of documented cases of natural gas leaking into the municipal sewer, which could be a much bigger concern. Luckily is is almost unheard of.

Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    I don't use a torch to remove poured lead, because it is unnecessary, but how else would you sweat copper drain pipes?

There has been a couple of documented cases of natural gas leaking into the municipal sewer, which could be a much bigger concern. Luckily is is almost unheard of.
    I drilled holes and cut the webs with a Fein Multimaster on mine. I don't get the need to melt the wax anyway.

If your sweating a copper drain, your open flame would be on the outside of the pipe at least.

Just had locally two workers at a water treatment plant killed while using a torch on top of a huge tank. Both were blown off the tank to a nearby building roof. Methane gas is suspected.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One reason there's a vent on the roof is to allow any gasses to disperse before they build up. It also helps ensure things can drain well. In a residential environment, it would be a set of very unusual circumstances where you could even get anything to ignite any sewer gasses, then, it would act more like a burner rather than a bomb. Now, playing around an enclosed tank or something, that's a totally different story.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014