How easily will PEX pipe melt near a soldered fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

rtc35

Reaction score
I can't afford a plumber and I don't have the tools to work with PEX pipe, but I have done a fair bit of soldering. What are the chances I'd be able to heat this up enough to disconnect the copper corner fitting from the copper pipe, replace the little bit of copper piping in between (it froze and leaks now) and resolder it without melting the PEX pipe? I can visualize this melting into a mess.

pex-to-copper.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Get a product called Cool Gel, it will help as long as you don't lollygag with the torch. Unsweating though, can be iffy.

cool-gel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rtc35

Reaction score
I'm not sure - I haven't coordinated with somebody else to turn the water on while I look. I just know it's the cold water pipe and the actual copper portion of the line is only about 6 inches long. I'm presuming it's not anywhere in the PEX pipe.

I'm seeing another option. The last time I inquired, no hardware store around me sold a PEX crimper, but now Home Depot has one for $200. That's too steep, but they also sell this: Surlok Starter Set With Rings for $40 (Surlok tool & clamp starter set complete with 20 ½’ rings & 10 ¾ rings, great for home owner with small job. For fast and secure PEX pipe connections). That sounds more reasonable, unless somebody knows this product to be no good. $200 versus $40 is quite a difference.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks