Motor lockup due to shaft seal & impeller tightness ??

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Is it possible to wrongly install the shaft seal and drain impeller washer on a dishwasher so that they are too tight and thus cause the motor to strain or lockup ?

I'm not talking about the necessary clearance so the impeller itself does not drag within its housing.

How does the shaft seal work, mechanically? Does the shaft spin around the metal collar in the shaft seal, or does the face of the graphite ring on top spin against the bottom face of the impeller washer??

I can see that the face of the graphite ring on top needs to press tightly against the corresponding face of the impeller washer to prevent a leak.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Not until I know what's wrong with it. Learning stuff.

The lower seal must not spin at all; otherwise the rubber on the outside diameter would abrade ??? So the washer on the bottom of the impeller spins against the stationary graphite ring on the seal?

Even installing a new unit would involve changing or un-sticking the water inlet cutoff valve, so I'm going to shut off the house & see if I can make it work, it as my next step.

AcidWater

Reaction score
The pump comes off of the motor...

Only unique things about this motor are

1) the pattern of the bolt holes for attaching the pump

2) the pattern of the 3 studs which the retaining clips hook over

But might this not be a standard sort of motor end plate?

AcidWater

Reaction score
FOUND THE MOTOR

factory Whirlpool/Kitchenaid parts center: 800-253-1301 and they still have the original parts numbers on their system.

They said that the motor part number in my book is now 4711686. They don't have any more, but I snagged the one on ****.

They also still have some rubber parts like the door seal !!!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Maybe pictures would help.

Call the Maytag Man, He has nothing to do and is waiting for your call.

DonL

Reaction score
But told the motor has replaceable bearings, so I need to learn how to do that. How do you get it apart after removing the 4 long bolts?

If they are truly replaceable then,

First thing that you need to do is mark the Motor Housing so that you can align it back up Exactly the way it is before you disassemble.

The motor rotor shaft ends will need to be cleaned, so they can pass thru the bearings. Pull straight apart.

You should use a Arbor Press to remove them from the housing. They are pressed into the ends of the motor housing.

Next step, Buy a new Dishwasher and use that one to play with, then you can disassemble the Timer.

Good Luck.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If they are truly replaceable then,

First thing that you need to do is mark the Motor Housing so that you can align it back up Exactly the way it is before you disassemble.

The motor rotor shaft ends will need to be cleaned, so they can pass thru the bearings. Pull straight apart.

You should use a Arbor Press to remove them from the housing. They are pressed into the ends of the motor housing.

Next step, Buy a new Dishwasher and use that one to play with, then you can disassemble the Timer.

Good Luck.

DON! you da man! I used to do that stuff when I was back in High School. Taking apart old washing machine motors, replacing bearings and those old cetrifugal start switches. Those were the days. Those old timers were fun too, especial those that you pulled the handle on and moved the slider to your "program" and pushed it back in, as opposed to the old rotary ones, that were also fun for me to fix if i could. I used to make some pocket money repairing appliances for neighbors, getting most of my parts from old machines other neighbors threw out. Its not that they did not know where those parts came from, as they benefited from the cost savings.
Uh, yes they had appliances 55 years ago:p

AcidWater

Reaction score
The top & bottom housing pieces are stuck nice & tight to the stator... should I spray WD40 to loosen them up? Am I going to need to tap them with a mallet or should they slide off easily?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The top & bottom housing pieces are stuck nice & tight to the stator... should I spray WD40 to loosen them up? Am I going to need to tap them with a mallet or should they slide off easily?
Hmm, where is that crystal ball when I need it?

I doubt if it will come apart too easily, but who knows? I'm looking for that ball now.

DonL

Reaction score

They are fit tight together.

WD40 won't hurt anything. You will not likely find new bearings. I would have used Turbine Oil and lubed the bearings without needing to disassemble.

Can you take a picture of the Motor ?

AcidWater

Reaction score
Photo here:

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?22850

I hesitate to whack on the ends unless that's the way its done. Do the pros put some sort of turnbuckles between the two ends and crank it open evenly?

I'm told the bearings are a standard type of part.

How can I get oil to the bearings without removing something?

Also found this:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t9437235-hobart_5hp_kd_18_electric_dishwasher

>Flash is motor start switch it arcs while dis-engauging start windings is normal. just make sure winding do not appear to look blackish

DonL

Reaction score
no external cap.

Did you get it apart ? If you are having a hard time separating the halves you can loosen the screws slightly and just lightly tap the head of the screws. You should not need a big hammer, just the handle of a screwdriver should work.

Did you get your new one yet ?

Good Luck

AcidWater

Reaction score
Tapping the loose screws is a good method. Have not messed with it yet. Have the replacement motor & very lazy in installing it. Not feeling like lying / kneeling right now. Wife hasn't yet complained about doing dishes by hand :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks