Gerberit Wall Hung Toilet Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny2

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done several plumbing projects, but up to this point they've been all fairly straight forward in terms of drain layout and venting. This time, I am trying to plumb a wall hung toilet and I need HELP! I will be building a new 2x6 wall in front of an existing frame wall where the plumbing stack is already located. The toilet drain line will be located within a few inches of the existing plumbing stack. Because of that, the toilet drain line will need to bend away from the stack in order to get far enough away so that it can turn back toward the stack and connect to it with a sanitary tee. In addition, the line will need to be vented to an existing vent line. I've attached a diagram of how I think this might be done, but would welcome any guidance from those of you who are more experienced. I am under the 2009 UPC.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• wall hung rough-in copy.jpg
    wall hung rough-in copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6,770

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Change the sanitary tee to a Y and 45 and your good.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sort of. Without being there it's hard to tell. Normally we use as few of the fittings as possible.
You can use a street 45 into the wye, or a standard 45 if you need more offset. I would avoid adding a 90 if that is possible.

geberit-in-wall-photo.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny2

Reaction score
Terry and hj,

In my last post I had 2 images. Would either of them work from a code perspective? Based on Terry's comment, I assume that the first image would be the way to go, as it eliminates the 90. I could also use a few street 45's to pull everything up a bit and eliminate some of the offset, hj :).

I guess my main confusion is that the UPC divides everything into either vertical or horizontal drain lines, and defines what pieces to use to connect between each of them. All the plumbing I've done to this point has fit neatly into these definitions where a horizontal trap arm runs into a vertical stack via a sanitary tee....etc. In this situation, however, it seems most appropriate to use all vertical drain lines to keep things compact and to keep bends at a minimum. From what you are telling me, a Y is an appropriate connection between vertical drain lines.

So, to summarize, this system has 4 parts, all of which are vertical:

1. A vertical trap arm (with a 45 degree offset) from the toilet down to the branch drain. It enters the branch drain via a Y, and is vented below the toilet weir (which is o.k. per the UPC).
2. A vent above this Y.
3. A vertical branch drain below this Y.
4. The main building drain which is also vertical (at least this section of it is).

Do I understand this correctly?

I am not a plumbing professional (that's why I am asking for help here :)), so I apologize for any confusion.

John

Last edited:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Either way you first diagramed it will work. No need to use a wye on the stack. If you don't have that much room underneath then bring the line up to the left of the toilet, put a heel outlet above the floor and turn the 90 on the toilet to the left.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks