Ceramic Tile--What To Put Around Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

rosem637

Reaction score
Saw this picture and was wondering after the tile is set should grout should be put in the void between the 4" stub for the toilet and the adjacent tiles or should that area be caulked?

Thanks for your opinions and why do you prefer one way over the other?

Attachments

• photo%203.jpg
    photo%203.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,991
  • photo%201.jpg
    photo%201.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 11,178
  • photo%202.jpg
    photo%202.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 6,274

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF that was a job I was doing, the first thing I would do is call the tile person back and tell him to give me the proper gap around the pipe so the flange would slide down. That being the case, there would be NOTHING between the tile and the pipe until I installed the flange. Once the flange is installed, there still doesn't have to be any "filler", unless someone wants to put it in while I stand around, (on the clock), and wait for them to do it.

rosem637

Reaction score
IF that was a job I was doing, the first thing I would do is call the tile person back and tell him to give me the proper gap around the pipe so the flange would slide down.

Why be wooried about more room on the outside of the stub when the flange is going INSIDE the 4"??

That being the case, there would be NOTHING between the tile and the pipe until I installed the flange.

I would consider that a poor install then because you want some filler in case of a leak. Dont want water easily getting underneath. But to each their own.

Attachments

• 43495.jpg
    43495.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,689

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most of us do not plan for "in case there is a leak", as everything else we do is to ensure that it does not leak.
The only time I ever use an inside fit flange is when replacing a broken outside fit flange.

You can caulk it if it makes you feel better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;W hy be wooried about more room on the outside of the stub when the flange is going INSIDE the 4"??

I guess the main reason is because i DO NOT use the "inside flanges". AND, I install the toilets so they do NOT leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Unless you have to

The "unless you have to"s are fairly rare. The usual reason is when some dingbat pours concrete right to the riser and I don't want to spend a couple of hours drilling and chopping concrete.

rosem637

Reaction score

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,438
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,464
Last edited:

rosem637

Reaction score
I'm thinking your tiled floor (if set already) is a disaster waiting to happen. You should not be able to see the Ditra between the tiles when properly set.

The tile was just laid out not set. Did you really think someone could thinset that good and not get it between the joints?? well actually thinsetting it that good to not get between the joints would really be thinsetting it bad.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks